• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First(feeble) Attempt from parts assembly...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmdd

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok guys, here is my first(feeble) attempt at building a long rifle from a part assembly. Pecatonica River, Early Lancaster, curly maple #3, GM .54 cal. swamped barrel. BC walnut stain and tru-oil. LMF cold browning. Constructive criticism is welcome as well as flames. I will go put my fire suit on while you look at my poor photography. :wink:

DSC00124.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

DSC00123.jpg

DSC00119.jpg

DSC00121.jpg

DSC00122.jpg

Looks pretty damn good for a first build Alvin. Only thing that I see I would change is the lock panels could be thinned down...but looks like you got yerself a mighty fine shooter there, good luck with it. :thumbsup:

Why do people always wear the "hair shirt" of self deprecation when introducing something they have made? Ya done good !!!! I wouldn't be ashamed of claiming that gun as mine, in fact if you still feel that way, I can relieve your woeful pangs of conscience ---I'll e-mail you my address---I'd be proud to hang that on my wall with my others. :hatsoff: "Doc"

Only problem I see is that you must have been looking in a mirror as you built it and ended up with the lock on the wrong side.......... :thumbsup:
Macon

Thanks for the kind words guys. I was thinking of naming it "Little Bit"....should have set the tg back a little bit more, should have inlet the tg a little bit more, should have thinned the side panels a little bit more... :rotf: Ezekial, I guess I am a little ashamed of this one, especially after looking a the fine rifles that so many of the guys like Keith, Mike, Roy and many more do on this forum I think mine is sort of an ugly duckling. :barf: To be honest I was thinking of finding a different retirement hobby like knitting, but you guys have given the encouragement so I might try another... :grin:

Thats a very fine rifle you have made in my book! :thumbsup: I would'nt be ashamed to have that one up on the firing line anytime. I hope ya get it shooting good quickly. I have to agree though that ya have the lock on the wrong side :( .

I'd be darn tootin' glad to hang that on my wall!! Very nice job, like another said, " looks like your 50th" :hatsoff: :bow:

The metal to wood fits look very nice and the finishes do too. The forestock looks a little bit flat with square corners in the pictures. The lock panels look a little bit club-ish. (is that even a word?) The wood behind the breech looks a little bit flat & needs to have more of a radius going into the lock panels. The wrist looks a little bit square.
Overall, you need to not be afraid to make all your radii bigger. You know, more rounded cross sections instead of flat sided with small rounded edges.
All that being said, How's it shoot? Good, I bet. :)

looks great!!!
"you can always take off wood, very hard to put back on"!
you can get brave and add a patchbox, and a lower butt molding line~and IF you wanted, work the lock panels down some....make a temp-let for that....
I still have a problem with that area.....
insert2.jpg

i'll work on it for a while...then put it up for a few days.....then come back and look again.. :surrender:
then i had to replace a bad spot.....which drove me even closer to a rubber room address!!!

Cherry.... Is there a tongue sticking out smiley?
I've made 5 guns from cherry we cut. It was awful manure to work with. I'll not do another one.

From where i'm sitting you done GREAT!! :thumbsup: There is only one guy you have to please and he can be seen in your mirror! :hatsoff:
Thanks for sharin your work!
Dusty :wink:

I couldn't do near as well but it does strike me as having a bit much wood left on in places.
However, it is really scrumptous. Very fine.
I like the black/blueing of the metal parts.
Enjoy.

Very nice, Nice finish. First gun, awsome job. I too was thick on the lock panels on my first. Time to start another. Be careful, it gets addictive. :thumbsup:

You should be proud to take little bit out to meet a BIG BUCK this fall. :thumbsup:

.54cal swamped barrel is what I want to build.

Latest posts

Back