• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finding wasp nests?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We can also find ours by noticing bits of "paper" in the snow; the squirrels will tear into them. Many years ago, late October, I think; a friend carried a huge white-faced nest into his house. There had been couple nights below frost. Several hours later, he realized the nest was far from frozen...

The same thing happened to a family member of mine several years ago. I’ve never trusted those big hornet nests since.🤪

I live where it is warm all year so I wait til night then spray the nest with wasp spray while they are all there. The stuff kills them instantly then I collect the nest.
I do that also. I will mash them flat, let them dry a couple of days and they’re good to go.

Look under your seat in your shooting house!

0A735854-99F2-4693-A63B-0195E7B96081.jpeg

My open sheds and lean too -over hangs have plenty of them !!!
As well as the shooting house….

It’s always exciting too stumble upon one when least expected during the summer months…. For those that don’t have them locally, you’d be surprised how fast they can make an old man move!!!🤣

I still haven’t gotten my revenge on those yellow jackets from last Fall, but their days a coming.

There’s a nice brush pile stacked on top of their nest now awaiting a spark..🥸

I shoot the PAUPA, also. I don't just use the paper part of the nest! the unborn babies act as lubrication !!

They're also one of the best baits you can use for bluegills and other bream. When I was a kid, a wasp nest didn't stand a chance on the farm as we'd knock it down and use the white larva for bait. My uncle would just take his hat off, knock the nest around a bit with it to get the wasps off and then pluck it loose. I never got that brave with them. Also any old vehicles around, they like to build in them as stated above. in the front of the door jambs under the back of the front fenders is a prime location. If it's driveable, just take it for a short ride for a bit down a rough road. They'll usually bale out during the trip.

I've been experimenting with dried out lens cleaner paper. I'm not sure what all is soaked into them, but when dried out, they're really quick burning once they get started. And it's a pretty tough paper that don't leave much behind when burned.

When searching for them in the woods look in the thickest brush and in spruce or pine trees, anywhere the nests can be protected from the wind.

How much material do you use for a load ? Do you still use a cloth patch around the ball ? And is there any advantage using them for a shotgun load in place of the wadding ?

How much material do you use for a load ? Do you still use a cloth patch around the ball ? And is there any advantage using them for a shotgun load in place of the wadding ?
In my Fusil de Chasse, I load 65gr of 2f or 3f, a wad of wasp nest (or tow) about the size of a .62 caliber ball over the powder. Then 65gr of #6 shot topped off with another wad of wasp nest (or tow) same size as the one over the powder. I’ve taken a lot of squirrels with this load and haven’t lost or missed any.

In my .50 caliber Kentucky rifle, I load 50gr of 2f, followed by a wad of wasp nest (or tow) about the size of a .495 round ball. Then I load either a .490 or .495 round ball topped off with another wad of wasp nest (or tow) same size as first. With this load I can put all my shots inside a 4 inch circle at 50 yards shooting offhand. If I use a bench rest and act right, my shots will cloverleaf at 50 yards.

For an excellent substitute, crumple up some old newspaper and dip it in a pot of boiling water with some borax. Once dry, it will make excellent fire resistant wadding very similar to wasp nest material and you won't have to go out looking for it.

Last edited:
Enough to cushion the charge and to keep gasses from blowing past and enough to keep the shot in place while traveling. You need to experiment on what works for you and gives you the best pattern with your smoothbore and with a rifle, only enough on top of powder and under ball and patch if shooting a heavy load or you ran out of proper patching to keep gasses from burning through your patch. In 99% of the time you do not need wasp nest with a rifle.

In my Fusil de Chasse, I load 65gr of 2f or 3f, a wad of wasp nest (or tow) about the size of a .62 caliber ball over the powder. Then 65gr of #6 shot topped off with another wad of wasp nest (or tow) same size as the one over the powder. I’ve taken a lot of squirrels with this load and haven’t lost or missed any.

In my .50 caliber Kentucky rifle, I load 50gr of 2f, followed by a wad of wasp nest (or tow) about the size of a .495 round ball. Then I load either a .490 or .495 round ball topped off with another wad of wasp nest (or tow) same size as first. With this load I can put all my shots inside a 4 inch circle at 50 yards shooting offhand. If I use a bench rest and act right, my shots will cloverleaf at 50 yards.
Thanks Banjoman.

I work telecommunications for a railroad. My territory had somewhere around 75-80 tiltover towers trackside and every year I have to clean out multiple wasp nests around the covered winches.

Maybe I need to start collecting them and put them up for sale here 😀

Here in downtown Rochester, MI we no longer have bees or yellow jackets. let alone hornets. Thanks, I suppose, to all the wonderful chemicals used on our Fine Lawns.

Back