• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fiber optic sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am relatively new to ML. With the older eyes I changed the iron sights on the Lyman Great Plains rifle to the Lyman fiber optic sights. The rear hi vis green are ok but the front red is no better than the old iron sight.

Was wondering if possible to take out the red fiber optic rod and replace with a green hi vis rod piece.

I know this is not traditional but it does help me see the dang sights.

Does any one know what diameter the fiber optic rod is and the best place to get a replacement hi vis green rod?

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Ron

Western pa.

I feel your pain, Ron! I had to replace the sights on my hunting rifles with fiber optic sights also. Low light conditions in the timber led to not being able to see my sights period, resulting in missed opportunities. I know it's not traditional but I'm a hunter and a quick, clean kill is what I'm after when I pull the trigger, so I installed Williams Fire Sights on my hunting rifles.

I have no problem with the red but green does show up better. Mine still has the green on the rear and red on the front. I'd bet that Midway or Brownells has it, and if not contact Williams Sights. Like BJH said, a lot of modern archery sights use the same fiber optic material and replacement material could possibly be found there also, like Lancaster Archery. Let me know what you find and how it works as I may be interested in doing the same.

I know this thread is about Friber Optic Sight and finding the right color. I would like to throw this in as a suggestion. If you have your old front sight. Go buy some "Sally Hansen" white finger nail polish (it has nylon in it making it much tougher to chip) put a coat down of that over your front sight. Then find a color of finger nail polisih or Testers paint and put over it that, what ever color YOU see best. That white under what ever color you put over it will make it stand out even more. When I tried just putting color over blued steel, the color chosen was very dull, I have even tried it over white Testers paint. The glossiness of that white fingernail polish made the color put over it REALLY stand out and a whole lot easier to see. Nice part is, it will come off with nail polish remover easily. So if you want to change colors to see which works best for you it is easily done. You have nothing to lose trying it if you still have your old sight. Just a thought. DANNY

Last edited:
Yes. The archery shops chave the fiber optic wires. I just need to find a way to measure the diameter of what I have now. Without buying a special tool. Thanks for the help!

I bought a High Viz sight for friend's rifle but when it came in it was much too small (low and narrow) to use on his TC. The sight came with a bunch of different pieces of fiber optic tube, all colors. If you can measure your tube and it so happens I have one the same size I will send you a green one for free. My tubes are .00695 in diameter and .60 long, I have 3 red and two green.

I just put a TC fiber optic front sight one on of my rifles, I just couldn't see the factory front with my old man eyes. I didn't put a fiber optic rear on because I can center the front very well in the factory rear notch. My front is red and I can see it very well, even in very low light.

I have used the fingernail polish system for years.... as Danny says, put down a good base of the SH white and go from there. Today the girls have so many colors to choose from you are bound to find something you like.

My eyes have gotten bad like others here but this seems to work with trad sights even for my old eyes. The one thing to keep in mind is distance between sights. That can sometimes make a difference also.

Back