• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman GPH .54 front sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
what front sights do you men have on your GPR or GPH, initially i went with the lyman with the white bead but after breaking 3 of the beads i bought a lyman fiber optic front, once again snagged it on brush broke the fiber optic. switched to a globe front sight made by lyman and in low light its hard to see. so now i put the origional back on along with a lyman 57 gpr rear sight looking throught the peep the front sight could be thinner right now it is .130 thick any suggestions im not sure of what lyman dovetails are as i forgot to measure

Track of the Wolf shows them as having a 9mm base so, roughly .360in or so. They list several silver blade sights of various height that are about half the thickness of your factory sight.

i went to TOW websight and i found a couple for lyman said thich blade.62 high 9mm dovetail 1/16 ive damaged 3 sets of dovetails trying to install sights in the klast few years ive learned to not touch the dovetail. so once i get the sights centered i put a dab of epoxy on each side of the sight. ive heard of others that would peen something to get the sight to fit. Can anyone explain that?

Peening is for when the sight is loose in the dovetail. some peen the bottom of the sight, others peen in the bottom of the dovetail. The object is to raise a bit of metal to get a tighter fit. Some peen a place or two on the edges of the dovetail itself. My personal preferred fix is to lay about a 9/16ths or so socket across the dovetail and give it a light tap or two. Tap & try, tap & try 'cause doesn't take much & leaves no visible evidence that you even did anything.

Back