• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FFg and small bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtewsmoke

45 Cal.
Reaction score
So I'm in the process of making the conversion to .45 and smaller(I have my reasons), all I have is FF and I've got a several yr supply, somebody please tell me they've had good results running the stuff (FF)thru the smaller cal(s). Yeah I know each rifle likes what it likes, im mostly reading it's FFF only for these. We'll see I guess or maybe I'll be wanting to do some trading....

just like when we reduce 5-10% on the charge when going to a finer powder, you just increase your charge 5-10% when using the next step up coarser powder (as always volume, not weight)

your rifle will shot just fine with said powder, just need to find it's load like always

I know people who prefer FFG in 40 calibers so you should do fine in a forty five. My target rifle (42 inch, 45 caliber) shoots equally well with FF or FFF Forty five grain FF, or forty grain FFF.

2F black is all I have and it goes bang in everything. Now, if you're dealing with one of the cursed patent breech guns, it could be slightly more prone to bridging (not making it into the patent breech chamber). I experience this all-too-often in my Pedersoli .50 flint Kentucky. It just doesn't fall in there every time. I have to smack the gun a few times and probe with a vent pick to make sure I'm feeling powder granules through the vent. It still fires fine and I see no issues with fouling buildup. De-breeching this barrel and milling out that chamber is on my someday when I'm really bored list of things to do.

The obvious problem as @akroguy states, is the tendency for the larger grained powder to bridge at the entry to the chambered breech. With the proper attention to the fouling at the breech, the use of 2fg powder will work fine. There may be some advantage to 2fg in a longer barrel as the powder will burn a little longer as the ball travels along the barrel. Load development is important for any grade of powder that you use.

So I'm in the process of making the conversion to .45 and smaller(I have my reasons), all I have is FF and I've got a several yr supply, somebody please tell me they've had good results running the stuff (FF)thru the smaller cal(s). Yeah I know each rifle likes what it likes, im mostly reading it's FFF only for these. We'll see I guess or maybe I'll be wanting to do some trading....
Shoot what you have ,folks have been known to use it in the pan ! Back in the day that's what the common folk did .

If I can find the Target to post I will show you how FF BP performs out of a .36 cal . You will have no problems, I think there is to much over expanded mental energy when it comes to grain size. Like others have said shoot what you got. Shoot On…

FFG will work fine. I have a lot of Swiss that I tried and even with a reduction I got a red shoulder. WOW how different then Goex.

2F black is all I have and it goes bang in everything. Now, if you're dealing with one of the cursed patent breech guns, it could be slightly more prone to bridging (not making it into the patent breech chamber). I experience this all-too-often in my Pedersoli .50 flint Kentucky. It just doesn't fall in there every time. I have to smack the gun a few times and probe with a vent pick to make sure I'm feeling powder granules through the vent. It still fires fine and I see no issues with fouling buildup. De-breeching this barrel and milling out that chamber is on my someday when I'm really bored list of things to do.
I have a 'Volunteer' with the patent breach. I dump about 8gr. of 4fg into the chamber using a drop tube then the 80gr main charge of either 3fg or 2fg on top of that.
My nipple has a .027" orifice. It fires like a center fire cartridge rifle.

Back