• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

You're going to be a colonist....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You kidding? I'll stick around here, if the option exists...
Reason? I'm Injun.. We've been waiting for everyone else to find another planet to colonize and give us our land back since Sputnik went up!
Well, that's a plan I suppose... butcha might be waiting a while. I'd probably go if given a chance, but most people would not want to take the risks involved in space travel.

I've always wondered what would have happened if the locals had banded together to resist European colonization. Even with the largely stone-age culture you had in pre-Columbian times, I think that you could have possibly kicked us off of your shores just because of the logistics issues we had in those days. Then again, if you had resisted colonization, you might have all been slaughtered eventually. No way to know really.

Might have beens will drive us all crazy. All in all, I'm glad that you survived. We will never know much more about the Anasazi than we know now. That, I consider to be a sad thing.

Some time back I started a story about a group of colonists that included you folks as part of the group. They were offered land on another planet and transportation to that planet. They took the deal because in their experience, what the white man wanted, the white man eventually got... so it was better to get something for the land rather than to try to keep it and eventually to lose it anyway. Sort of like the deal half of the Oneida tribe took when they all lived back in New York. As the new planet also has non-human colonists, it was even more like the Oneida deal as the land on the colony world they were being "given" wasn't exactly theirs to give.

All in all, those in charge all seem to be liars and cheaters despite race, creed or culture.

Never finished the story, but it still exists on antique floppy disks that only one computer (A Tandy 600 laptop from the early 80's) can still access... and what remains in my antique memory. If I live long enough, maybe I'll transcribe it to a modern system and finish it some day.

I'm not long for this world, so will be leaving soon like it or not.

Your name looks like it would be a chore to pronounce. What tribe do you belong to or descend from?

Matrilineal line is Creek (Muscogee) so that is how my kids and I are enrolled... also have Cherokee, Lumbee, and Saponi lines between both parents.
Name is pronounced "chuckoduckshee." (In the Creek alphabet the Moravian missionaries created for us in the 1800's, the "v" represents a short "u" phoneme.)
The name means "bow." Full name is "Cvkotvkse-Yahola," "Bow Singer."
Sorry to hear of impending journey...
Am battling a blood cancer myself.
Feel free to PM me to talk more...

... on the second human colony off planet. The place you are going has plenty of rabbit-like, squirrel-like and game-birdish creatures that can be eaten by us safely. There are also several large predator species that some egghead who planned your mission decided would be a good idea to introduce (lions and tigers and bears, oh my!). This happened fifty years before your launch date... and with Einsteinian relativity, they've had several hundred years to reproduce and adapt to the new environment. The first human colony hasn't been heard from in many years. They had communication devices using quantum entanglement... so it is instantaneous.

The eggheads decided that the loss of the first colony was due to the colonists being killed by those evil unmentionable weapons they took with them. The second colony will only have muzzle loading weapons. Weight is an issue, so each male colonist (yeah I'm a male chauvinist pig) gets to take one gun, and only one gun, a per-determined amount of black powder, shot, round balls and/or bullets and/or molds. You can have some accoutrements in your possibles bag.

What gun from your current collection would you take? Why that gun? What job would you have on the colony?

I'll start off: T/C Renegade .56 SB with a .54 caliber extra barrel... if they let me have the extra barrel. If not, same gun with only the SB barrel. My logic is that the shot will be suitable for small game hunting and a .550 RB will kill the large predators that likely ate the first colonists. This is assuming that I cannot persuade the egg-heads to be a little more reasonable and allow M1-Garand rifles, 1917 Enfields and 1908 Springfields.

My job is colony blacksmith, so I'll be making bigger and better guns as soon as the ship finishes processing an iron asteroid in the new system into a supply of wrought iron and some steel..
Me?
A twelve guage.
My job?
Doing my best to populate the planet.

I only need edged weapons cuz I have shields.
shield-fight.gif

A 20 gauge smoothbore. I've read that Daniel Boone preferred trekking with a smoothbore... If it's good enough for Daniel, it's good enough for me.

But, a double barrel would be nice, and if I could bring a second it would be a .40 rifle. All flintlocks, of course.

Welll.... Yeah, I suppose you do! ;) It's a nice loophole I never considered

Then, in that spirit, I'll be declaring transgender. 😀
Tackling a lion or tiger with a muzzleloader? I'll pass. Leave me here on the destroyed planet. Is it flooded from melting ice or is it desert from high heat? I can't keep up.
Not tracking anything that would eat me. More concerned with watching my backtrail.

Back