• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

February 2023 Postal Match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my target shot this afternoon, it was definitely interesting!

Gary,
As the judge of our shootin' match I will leave my final score up to you. Depending on your interpretation of the rules I scored either 55 or 57. My eighth shot was aimed towards the 8 o'clock bull but it struck solidly in the 7 ring of the center bull however I had already fired 2 shots at the center bull and they went high and low. As a previous judge, my Interpertation would be that my errant 8th shot is worth 5 for landing inside the wheel but doesnt get the 7 for hitting the center bull since I had already taken 2 shots at it.

On another note, I now have about 70 balls through my Kibler SMR and I finally wore out my first flint! Gotta love a kibler lock!

Chris

20230211_210545.jpg

I got my target shot this afternoon, it was definitely interesting!

Gary,
As the judge of our shootin' match I will leave my final score up to you. Depending on your interpretation of the rules I scored either 55 or 57. My eighth shot was aimed towards the 8 o'clock bull but it struck solidly in the 7 ring of the center bull however I had already fired 2 shots at the center bull and they went high and low. As a previous judge, my Interpertation would be that my errant 8th shot is worth 5 for landing inside the wheel but doesnt get the 7 for hitting the center bull since I had already taken 2 shots at it.

On another note, I now have about 70 balls through my Kibler SMR and I finally wore out my first flint! Gotta love a kibler lock!

Chris

View attachment 197533
Thanks for posting Chris. Pretty nice target and based on your description I would say shot #8 should be scored as a 5. 70 shots from the flint is excellent! Sounds like you are really enjoying your SMR and you certainly are shooting it well!
Gary

Thanks for posting Chris. Pretty nice target and based on your description I would say shot #8 should be scored as a 5. 70 shots from the flint is excellent! Sounds like you are really enjoying your SMR and you certainly are shooting it well!
Gary

Thanks Gary,
After shooting the postal match target I moved back to 120yds for some long range fun off the bench, targets were 3 pop cans on a log roughly a two feet apart. First 3 shots aimed at the center can missed and the 4th, also aimed at the center can, struck the right hand can 2ft away. looks like my loose fitting loads with .010 patches work fine at 25 yards and ok at 40 yards but cant get it done at longer ranges. Time to get a range rod for the .40 and try out some .018 pillow ticking I guess.

Chris

Thanks Gary,
After shooting the postal match target I moved back to 120yds for some long range fun off the bench, targets were 3 pop cans on a log roughly a two feet apart. First 3 shots aimed at the center can missed and the 4th, also aimed at the center can, struck the right hand can 2ft away. looks like my loose fitting loads with .010 patches work fine at 25 yards and ok at 40 yards but cant get it done at longer ranges. Time to get a range rod for the .40 and try out some .018 pillow ticking I guess.

Chris
Chris, in my .40 Douglas barrel I use 65 gr 3F with a .400 ball patched with .020" pillow ticking, usually lubed with ballistol/water mix, and find it very accurate at 100 yds. For shorter distances out to 50 yards I drop powder down to 45-55 grains and leave everything else the same. It's a tight fit and the old Douglas barrels have deep rifling.

It was very windy on the day I tried the first time. I couldn't get the sights to stop moving around, part of it was me, part of it was mother nature. Plus the maxi balls were kicking the manure out of my shoulder. Using a CVA .45 percussion Hawken. Mine is a made in the USA CVA.

So this is my 2nd try. Different rifle.
.50 T/C Hawken flintlock
.490 R/B's. Pillow Tick patch
019.jpg

Now that our printer is working, I may have to try that target. However, where I am currently there are mostly (only?) indoor ranges and BP is verboten. Ergo, 15 yd. with my .22 pistol may have to suffice, but not for record of course.

This was a VERY difficult target... at least for me. I shot it with a T/C Cherokee .32. Yes, that is a broken short starter, yes it is possible to break one even if it is made from a carbon fiber arrow shaft and yes, I did it. Don't ask me how I broke it as it is just too embarrassing. I scored the target a 27, which I am somewhat surprised at... didn't think I would do that well. The squirrels do not have much to fear from me next fall! Yeah, I have actually killed a few squirrels with that rifle. One of them even gave me a second shot. He was delicious.

Now on my way to the shop to see if I can make the short starter into a shorter starter. Looking forward to March!
febtarget.jpg

Sorry about your short starter mishap - I thought the carbon fiber material was almost unbreakable!

Thanks for posting and I am trying to get out to shoot mine in the next week or so - we have a short month here.

Gary, got my target shot today but I’m not sure how to score it.
.54 Fullstock Hawken Flintlock
.530 RB
.015 patch with spit lube
~60 grains 2F Goex
FEE70E09-A313-4FC5-BF65-8E39B3DAF570.jpeg

Thanks for posting PK! I would score that as a 39 (5 shots in the center are plus 2 shots in the outer black of two of the cars)

This is a challenging target - looked much bigger on my computer screen!

Thanks for posting PK! I would score that as a 39 (5 shots in the center are plus 2 shots in the outer black of two of the cars)

This is a challenging target - looked much bigger on my computer screen!
Not the Judge but I score 49...... the 10pt bull is shot out of the 3 oclock car......

Chris

Not the Judge but I score 49...... the 10pt bull is shot out of the 3 oclock car......

Chris
You are right Chris! I was looking at the target on my phone and don't know how I missed it, but I did! 49 is the correct score (sorry PK)

I'm a bit distracted today - too much going on...

Very tough target for an indoor range with poor lighting! I just got back from firing this one @ 15 yd. offhand with my .22 Ruger Gov't. Model and didn't do well at all. A larger caliber RB would be a better choice, especially if you can shoot outdoors. Unfortunately, no BP firearms are allowed at this range (Lotus Gun Works, Jensen Beach, FL) even though they have three such revolvers in their display case. Since I'm not shooting for record, I'm not sure whether to post a pic of my target or not.

Very tough target for an indoor range with poor lighting! I just got back from firing this one @ 15 yd. offhand with my .22 Ruger Gov't. Model and didn't do well at all. A larger caliber RB would be a better choice, especially if you can shoot outdoors. Unfortunately, no BP firearms are allowed at this range (Lotus Gun Works, Jensen Beach, FL) even though they have three such revolvers in their display case. Since I'm not shooting for record, I'm not sure whether to post a pic of my target or not.
Thanks for asking Maven. Since this is a ML forum and match, no targets shot with unmentionables should be posted. Im going to try to shoot the target on Sunday - hope you can get out and try it again with your ML!

Gary

Didn’t get a chance to shoot the target this month, but hopefully I’ll be able to shoot next month’s
I finally made it out yesterday for a couple of hours and shot the target. When I printed it I thought to myself "this is not going to be an easy target" and it exceeded my expectations! I could barely make out the little ferris wheel bullseyes! Anyway, here is my target and I shot it with a nice little .45 flintlock - Rayl barrel @30-32" long. Other details printed on the target. A humbling experience! The Marchh target will be easier on our eyeballs. Will be posting it in the next day or two.
Feb 2023 Completed Target-3.jpg
Feb 2023 Completed Target-2.jpg
Feb 2023 Completed Target.jpg

Back