• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favourite lock lubricant?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aran

36 Cal.
Reaction score
What sort of lock lubes do you folks use? Is simple olive oil a good option, or is it too thick?
Your thoughts.

Aran

So I get the impression that some sort of synthetic lube would be best. I wonder what a more period correct lube would be...? Thanks for your replies though guys.
:hmm:

By whale oil do you mean sperm whale oil? My understanding is that whale oil is quite a thick oil (sort of like olive)and that sperm whale oil is very thin and is more a liquid wax than an oil as such. Jojoba oil also seems to be classified as a "liquid wax" however it seems it is quite a thick oil too.

Is the viscosity of the oil important when it comes to lubricating moving parts or is it more just a matter of whether the oil resists gumming up over time or in cold weather? :hmm:

Aran

First, let me say that I always clean my lock internals every time I clean my rifle. That is important because there are some lubricants that will gum up over time if you don't regularly clean your lock. So, having said that, I have found that just about any of the modern gun oils do just fine in my locks. I stress oil because I do not like the use of grease in my locks because they tend to collect fouling more than a light bit of oil. I have used and continue to use various modern oils with very good results. Such oils as 3 in 1, Break Free CLP, Frog Lube, Remoil, etc. All have served me quite well. While WD-40 is an excellent water displacing material and I use it extensively as one of the final steps in cleaning my guns, it is not the best thing for lubricating the internals of my locks and I do not recommend it for that use. I also do not recommend the use of most of the historical lubricants such as bear oil, sperm whale oil or its modern equivalent, jojoba oil, etc. not because they do not lubricate but because they do not lubricate as well as the modern oils and they have no anti-corrosion additives and, thus, do not protect as well as the modern lubricants.

In conclusion, let me say that I do not wish to enter into a debate with others concerning my recommendations, it is your rifle and your investment so the final decision of the best lock lubricant is, for better or for worse, yours to make. I can only share with you what my thoughts are on the subject. Good luck in your choice. :hatsoff:

Aran, I have been using a mix of 50/50 kerosene and 2-stroke motor oil for oiling the locks and anything else with moving parts that needs oil for years. It is a good penetrating oil and it's easy to make.

Remington's RemOil with Teflon Lubricant of course. None better!

By the way, you can probably buy it quite cheaper in a chain auto supply store where it isn't labelled specifically to the niche shooting community at a premium... But the little one ounce bottles with the straw for gun guys are useful too.

Interesting! You have my attention, Alden. How is the stuff labeled in the auto parts store?

laffindog said:
gun oil, like Hoppes etc.
Yup, simple as that, Hoppes 9 Lubricating Oil.
Summer and Winter.
And what Bill said, Oil get's old, gummy and needs to be cleaned out and refreshed on a regular basis.
Locks need to be cleaned and lubricated (period).
There are 100's of topics in the forums history that are;
"My lock's not Working"
The solution is: Clean it and Oil it,,

Aran, I use the same lube for my lock as I do for the bore and all exterior metal: Ballistol. After removing lock, scrubbing with a little warm water and dish detergent (using an old toothbrush), then drying thoroughly, simply spray front and back of lock with aerosol Ballistol and wipe off excess.

Bill;
Looked for pics and for it on Amazonian and flea-Bay to no avail. Guess that line's dead?

Used to be Rem Oil in a mostly white spray can with blue and orange graphics at about 2/3rds the price of the green and yellow and white gun stuff but the same exact product (and description IIRC). My recent purchases have been of the latter for convenience. Aerosol spray here, pump spray there, a drop on this, a wipe on that...

You use so little at a time generally speaking that you may not notice while consuming it that Rem Oil with Teflon, which they say cleans/lubricates/protects, ain't cheap; it's worth it in my book and guns' workings.

True sperm whale oil is still considered the best lubricant for many purposes. I was told that it was used on the Hubble telescope. If it works in outer space it will work on earth. I still have a few ounces left from way back when. I find that the jobola oil that Dixie sells as synthetic sperm whale oil seems to be identical right down to the smell. Though I did notice the last bottle I got was lighter color than the older stuff was.For my guns I used to use the old military G.I. gun oil, but switched to three- in -one oil
on the advice of a friend who spent his time in special forces. :idunno:

Friend of mine uses whale oil on a leather sewing machine. Stuff is slicker than greased snot and good for small, moving parts like that sewing machine.

If one wants to get creative, this is the best gun oil I have ever used. It was concocted in the early days of the Vietnam war by a Jar Head when all the other lubes used by the military were failing.
I have used it on my locks when I couldn't find my can of 3-in-1 with very good results no matter the weather or temperature.

U.S.M.C. Gun Oil
¾ oz (22.5 cc) STP
¼ oz (7.5 cc) Hoppe’s #9
2 oz (59 cc) 10W40 motor oil
5 oz (148 cc) hydraulic jack oil

Thanks for all the replies folks. :hatsoff:

Many Klatch, I will probably just use what you mentioned (50:50 kerosene/2 stroke) seeing as I found an old bottle of 2 stroke in the garage and have plenty of kerosene.
Also found an old can of Castrol water repellent lube oil which I will try - says it can be used for firearms among other things.

Aran

Interesting... I looked at Dixie's Synthetic Sperm Whale oil, doesn't seem to mention anything about jojoba oil though, you sure it's jojoba?

From what I've read, jojoba has a high viscosity and that sperm whale oil is relatively low viscosity.
Also wikipedia says that jojoba "oil" melts at about 10C(50F) which would mean it would be a poor oil for cold weather.
:idunno:
:surrender:

Yeah, I searched for anything like it and came up empty handed. They must have taken it off the market for some reason. I've never tried RemOil with teflon. The only Rem Oil I have used was just the plain stuff. A can lasts for years and I used the last of mine some time ago but have not looked for it in a long time. Next time I am at a sporting goods store, I will have to look for some that has teflon in it and give it a try.

Latest posts

Back