• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite place for moccasin patterns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris C

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy all
Of course the web is loaded with patterns and places but what better place to ask than from folks who have experience or can give reviews.
Im after a good book, book with patterns, etc..
I want to be able to make my own moccasins.
Been cheating with some store bought ones for to long.

My other issue I had is a lot of the patterns I looked up or have are not made for folks with squatch feet!
Thanks again for any help.
I truly enjoy this forum. Stayed up late 2 nights in a row saving articles and links for future reference.

+1 That is a fine book and explains how to make the pattern for numerous styles and to your size. Even how to lay out the hide for best results. I favor the flathead side seam type.

Make your own pattern,there are a lot of do it your self patterns out there, Just do a search on the web, made a pattern for pucker toes about 15 years ago out of stiff cardboard and still use it today. I cannot really say how many mocs were made from that pattern but there has been a bunch.AN APPALICHIAN HUNTER

Moccasins were of regional/tribal patterns. Match the style to your persona...

Often a white man might learn how to make a mocc in some place where that mocc existed. There is a painting of a Delaware MM using a center seam, not used in the West. Think deep about who your persona is. Also keep in mind Indian women sold premade moccasins to frontier white men. It’s a deep and confusing subject.

Guess I need to buy some more books and research
Central Texas Is where I roam.
Comanche and Tonkawa primarily were in this area.

Tall Hat,

Your persona, that you are planning to portray, could have learned to make moccasins some other place, depending on where you grew up and or worked to your present age.

So explaining how you got to Texas and when in your life journey you arrived, would open possibilities of learning other things before you got to Texas.

Gus

I don't know about books sorry but I think I found my new favorite. I have been using a Blackfoot style side seam I believe for nearly 10 years and they are comfortable. Tried a pucker toe last week and they fit great they where quick and easy to make and how the pattern is made it fits your foot I found the method for making the pattern on line or youtube. Really simple and comfortable. Just my 2¢

Last edited by a moderator:
Also my favorite. I have been making them since
1975...remember to always pre-stretch the leather.

Also remember the stretch direction of the leather when laying out your pattern.

If you pre-stretch and pay attention to the grain, the extra work of trimming & re-sewing is avoided.

Back