• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite Builder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack Hansberry builds very nice flintlocks. I own one and know many others that own one or more flintlocks built by Jack. They are works of art.

Eric Kettenburg is my favorite builder. Highest level knowledge of original early Pennsylvania rifles and highest level story-making creativity. The end result is always a gun that is very interesting and artistic. Ken Gahagan is in the same vein.

i needed help with a question i had asked on here about a year ago. the only one that gave me the real answer that was fact and not feelings, and took the time to explain why was Dave Person. never held one of his guns but they have to be good, because he is a good man. i vote for him, Dave Person ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"Opinions are subjective but: who's your favorite flintlock builder? Simple question, purely subjective, arguments not welcome."

I have seen a few flintlock guns made by William Buchele--they are made to be beautiful and useful. Buchele was a well-known gunmaker and author during the 1950s through the early 1970s and he died in 1977. My brother-in-law (who usually does not like "copies" or "repros"), bought a Buchele-signed flintlock rifle several years ago and it is wonderful. It has very distinctive curly maple wood, carvings, silver inlays and decorative brass fixtures.

I just bought a beautiful, but still simple-looking Lehigh Valley style (dropped stock look) flintlock rifle at the Lodi, Ohio, Log Cabin Shop. It was made and signed by Ken Netting, using a W.M. Large, J.J.J.J. signed, .40 caliber 42 ½” barrel (gun is overall 57 ½” length).

William “Bill” M. Large was one of the best barrel makers back in the 50's and 60's. Bill Large made muzzle loading rifle barrels in Ironton, Ohio from the 1920's until his passing in 1985. His barrels were marked with his name and “J.J.J.J.” to honor his four daughters whose first names all began with the letter “J”. His match barrels were also marked with "L." which indicated a little more attention, such as the hand dressing of the concave lands.

My Ken Netting made rifle is a beautiful curly maple, full stock which is lightly engraved the entire length. It has no brass adornments. The steel butt plate is two-piece, the top metal beginning at the barrel tang, inlaid and ending in the middle of the butt. The other half is separated in the middle of the butt and goes about halfway under the stock. There, embedded is a single white diamond, about ½”, with a centered black dot, is embedded on the bottom middle of the stock. The double-set triggers are adorned with an engraved steel trigger guard, steel thimbles, steel lock plate, and steel patch box on the right side. The barrel and all the steel bands and trimmings were given an aged-looking patina on the steel-trimmed items.

I wish to learn more about Ken Netting and eventually talking to him about my rifle. Claude Collins, [email protected]

Of the many artisans out there, my favorite is Kenn Netting. His rifles, whether plain or fancy, are of the best quality available and shoot as well as they look. Above all else he is a good friend and a true gentleman.
I’d second all that Mark just said. Ken is a true craftsman, historian, gentleman and a an all around great guy. Someday I’ll own one of his rifles… I just need to save up my coin.

"Opinions are subjective but: who's your favorite flintlock builder? Simple question, purely subjective, arguments not welcome."

I have seen a few flintlock guns made by William Buchele--they are made to be beautiful and useful. Buchele was a well-known gunmaker and author during the 1950s through the early 1970s and he died in 1977. My brother-in-law (who usually does not like "copies" or "repros"), bought a Buchele-signed flintlock rifle several years ago and it is wonderful. It has very distinctive curly maple wood, carvings, silver inlays and decorative brass fixtures.

I just bought a beautiful, but still simple-looking Lehigh Valley style (dropped stock look) flintlock rifle at the Lodi, Ohio, Log Cabin Shop. It was made and signed by Ken Netting, using a W.M. Large, J.J.J.J. signed, .40 caliber 42 ½” barrel (gun is overall 57 ½” length).

William “Bill” M. Large was one of the best barrel makers back in the 50's and 60's. Bill Large made muzzle loading rifle barrels in Ironton, Ohio from the 1920's until his passing in 1985. His barrels were marked with his name and “J.J.J.J.” to honor his four daughters whose first names all began with the letter “J”. His match barrels were also marked with "L." which indicated a little more attention, such as the hand dressing of the concave lands.

My Ken Netting made rifle is a beautiful curly maple, full stock which is lightly engraved the entire length. It has no brass adornments. The steel butt plate is two-piece, the top metal beginning at the barrel tang, inlaid and ending in the middle of the butt. The other half is separated in the middle of the butt and goes about halfway under the stock. There, embedded is a single white diamond, about ½”, with a centered black dot, is embedded on the bottom middle of the stock. The double-set triggers are adorned with an engraved steel trigger guard, steel thimbles, steel lock plate, and steel patch box on the right side. The barrel and all the steel bands and trimmings were given an aged-looking patina on the steel-trimmed items.

I wish to learn more about Ken Netting and eventually talking to him about my rifle. Claude Collins, [email protected]

Very good! You covered the art side of it in no uncertain terms. But does it shoot?

My personal favorite is Ron Luckenbill. On top of being a great builder, Ron is also a top shot, so he knows how to build a rifle for shooting. I have had many guns from various builders through the years but Ron nails it on all levels. He is also a great person! Here is a near bench copy of an early Bucks rifle that he built for me a few years back.
aaq-805_1.jpg

I’d second all that Mark just said. Ken is a true craftsman, historian, gentleman and a an all around great guy. Someday I’ll own one of his rifles… I just need to save up my coin.
Ken Netting is no slouch, that's for sure. My favorite smoothbore is one built by Ken in 28 gauge.
pix052832497.jpg

No favorite builder but here's a tip: When buying either a flintlock or percussion rifle.....ask the seller if BOTH triggers work if buying a set trigger rifle!! The front trigger should release the cock from the full cock position without use of the set trigger! If it doesn't....something is askew!!

Latest posts

Back