• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifled trade gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronHand

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'm thinking of having a flintlock rifle built. My favorite gun is my Jackie Brown trade gun.

My question is, were rifled trade guns a thing and/or is there a style of rifle that closely resembles a trade gun?

Thanks
Ironhand

There were trade rifles sold by American & British fur companies. These looked nothing like the NW gun, however. The Museum of the Fur Trade has several publications that will be of interest to you.

Jack Brooks built a rifled English trade gun years ago, based on a period reference to a damaged English trade gun that was restocked with a rifled barrel. There was an article in Muzzle Blasts, I think October 1994, about the trade guns he made, although I can't remember if the article referenced the rifled trade gun or if that tidbit came from some other source. Either way, there is apparently one period reference that would justify an early pattern trade gun with a rifled barrel, albeit as a non-original modification.

Trade guns were never made with rifled barrels and it is a bit sac religious , LOL .... but I have seen a few N.W. trade guns and a few Fusil de Chasse with rifled barrels on them.... Hey ! Make what will make you happy and what will work for you bud . Ifn ya do , post pics ! :)

I'm thinking of having a flintlock rifle built. My favorite gun is my Jackie Brown trade gun.

My question is, were rifled trade guns a thing and/or is there a style of rifle that closely resembles a trade gun?

Thanks
Ironhand

Rifling Northwest Trade Guns and Tulle Guns is a modern thing.

18th century trade guns were almost never rifled, they were intended to be cheaper and simple designs.

Rifled 16-20 gauge barrels were usually found on fine fusils, officers fusils or even possibly some rifled fowlers, which are also not really a thing.

I have seen several military fusils that were rifled, barrels are usually octagon to round, and very hight quality built guns by ketland, Twigg and Wilson are a few I’ve seen.

Back