• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Extreme trigger pull

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Purchased my first flint lock yesterday, a DIkar .45 caliber long rifle, single trigger. Rifle is very clean, absolutely no corrosion including bore.

This might make a good transition from percussion rifles except that the trigger pull is extreme, I am barely able to fire using tip of my index finger. If the hammer is pulled back slightly while applying trigger pressure the lock will fire normally.

I realize the rifle is not worth much but I would like to make it serviceable to gain flint lock experience. Not sure where to start, any advice would be appreciated.

Jeff

Purchased my first flint lock yesterday, a DIkar .45 caliber long rifle, single trigger. Rifle is very clean, absolutely no corrosion including bore.

This might make a good transition from percussion rifles except that the trigger pull is extreme, I am barely able to fire using tip of my index finger. If the hammer is pulled back slightly while applying trigger pressure the lock will fire normally.

I realize the rifle is not worth much but I would like to make it serviceable to gain flint lock experience. Not sure where to start, any advice would be appreciated.

Jeff
Does the tumbler have an adjustable screw in it?

Does the tumbler have an adjustable screw in it?
It does, he's just not aware of it.
Maybe he'll take the lock out of the stock now an look at it, then seek that info. It's all here jetmech.

p.s. don't loose that ramrod retainer spring,,

That screw adjusts the depth the sear engages the tumbler. So if screwed out, the sear sets fully in the tumbler indent. Start by adjusting it so the bottom of the sear's nose is flush with the bottom of the tumbler. You can even go slightly beyond that point but must be careful not to go too far that it does not hold securely at full cock.

You will have some play in the trigger, not to worry about that.
Thanks for the info. I did adjust the tumbler screw inwards and the trigger now functions at an acceptable pull but the sear is now positioned on the tip of the tumbler in full cock notch instead of fully engaging the notch. I tried bumping the stock to see if the hammer would fall, it did not. Not comfortable using the rifle like this so I think a teardown of the lock and thorough cleaning and polishing is in order.

I am surprised that the tip of the sear is as long as it is and appears to have a slight s-bend to it. If I could locate a good picture or line drawing I might learn if I have a damaged sear. Anyone know of a source for pictures and replacement parts. I assume that Jukar and CVA parts would interchange with DIkar.

Thanks everyone for the answers so far. This old rifle is hardly worth the effort but I am enjoying the challenge and look forward to learning to shoot flintlock.

Check with Deer Creek Products in Indiana..

I think they carry replacement parts for various guns..

Many of the CVA, Traditions, and similar locks actually have the tumbler notch/sear engagement angle less than 90 degrees which means when you pull the trigger you actually are "fighting" the main spring. You can check this ( use a leather pad to protect the frizzen) by holding the rifle at an angle and slowly pull your trigger. If the cock has a slight backward motion before releasing you are fighting the main spring. The angle of the notch/sear should be 90 degrees less than 90 you fight the main spring greater than 90 it will"push off" and not hold. Stoning the tumbler will fix the problem if done right.

Latest posts

Back