• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Expedient lube..?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been a fan of good old spit-lube for rifle patches since I was a young shooter (about a hundred years ago). Simplicity and tradition has always been my thing with front-stuffers. Before heading out the other day with a new (to me) smoothie I noticed I had a bottle of rendered bacon grease in my fridge and on a lark decided to bring it. I used it on tow wads a couple of times, and dipped a few fiber wads in it too. Made me hungry!

But it did get me to thinking not only what they may have used back in the day because it was at hand, but what you all have grabbed to lube your tow or patches or what have you, simply because it was there. Seems to me that formulations are one thing, necessity is another. I'm curious what y'all have done in this regard, or what you think might work.

Spit has never failed me, but for real lube I make beeswax and olive oil mix. I always have those ingredients on hand.

I only used the rendered (clarified?) bacon grease for a couple of experimental shots, so I should be okay. I'll give it a bit more attention today to be sure the bore's clean and oiled. I didn't consider salt content. Good tip, thanks.

I always prelube patches at home. I use the totw mink oil and lube the patches lightly. I keep them in a sealed small container. I do this so that I don't have to mess with lubing on the range or field.

Back