• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Excessive Fouling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
11Bushbeater, you must be from West Texas. People from east Texas can’t shoot like that.

I find that an over powder wad before the patched round ball prevents blow by and the need for swabbing between shots. As well as preventing the patch lube from wetting the powder when out hunting for long periods. A simple test is to just wad a patch up and place it over the powder.

So.........Maybe I am just the luckiest guy in the game.

As you all are aware I am a firm believer in spit patches, but, in the interest of furthering my understanding of this fouling issue I dug around in my ancient pile of junk and dug out some probably 15-20 year old Ox-Yoke lubed patches that were the correct thickness for my John Schreit rifle and then I lubed up a bunch of dry patches with Ballistol for my Jaeger rifle and off to the range we went on this beautiful morning.

I shot probably 20 shots through both rifles with no fouling issues whatever. I was blowing down the barrel after each shot and the only anomaly was both rifles seemed to shoot a little higher on the target than normal, not a lot but just a little. No short starter.

Another thing I noticed was using the Ox-Yoke patches after the 6th or 7th shot it actually got easier to shove the ball down, I attribute this to the barrel getting warm and possibly lowering the viscosity of the lube on the patches.

Nothing scientific here but I might try some patches with different lube on them....Now what to try next, mink oil?

Latest posts

Back