• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Excessive Fouling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking back to all of the changes while I have been in the hobby, one realizes some variables work for some folks more than others. I can recall the tight load recommendations. Then the various lubes which could be used with less swabbing. There was the poly-patch for a while. Blow down the barrel/don't blow down the barrel. Spit patch/water oil soluble dry patching/new lubes with alcohol. Seasoned barrels/no seasoned barrel.

One thing most seem to agree upon is cleaning between shots, even with the lubes that profess cleaning to be less frequent. Like someone else noted, finding that combination and "sweet spot" for your gun is the goal. My load combination is pretty predictable and consistent. I now tend to clean between shots but I can shoot two without doing so. Then I begin to notice the fouling tends to resist the next load. However, my barrel is (gasp) seasoned. I do not use my .50 cal to hunt. I have always been, primarily, a paper target shooter. I prefer GOEX and yes, have discovered the Swiss powder has less fouling. But that is for me and my rifle. Like the old warnings...results may vary.

I had a similar prolem long ago. Finally solved it by going to a thinner, but stronger patch (linen). I also used a patch with "Tetra Oil" down the bore for storage after cleaning. I feel that eventually "seasoned" the bore by filling the grain in the steel with ultra-fine particles of lube.

Shooting all day and not swabbing is a "unicorn" situation. I guess it can happen with a looser combo and the right lubes. You will not get the best possible accuracy.

Uhmmmm.. try a properly setup minie ball gun to see a unicorn

Hi all,
I have a Lyman GPR in .54. My gig is usually a 20 to 30 shot trail walk in the woods. All black powder and use FFG or FFFg. Usually FFG in .54 or bigger. I do see folks wiping between shots, but the norm is not to. The norm is a water-soluble mix, often based on balistol. At some shoots it is required to prevent smoldering fire starters winging into the woods.

The net affect is the lube self swabs as you load and fire.

Were not sitting at a bench, off hand only and we shoot out of our bag, so maybe the variables are different.

If I was at a bench shooting where my own ability to hold on target was less of an issue I would probably do things much different. So there is probably not one best way, and the fun is trying it all out.

Do a woods walk.
Do a woods walk where you must hit every target before moving on.
Do a woods walk where you must hit every target before moving on and the person with the lowest time wins.
And that my friends will separate the wipers from the non wipers.

Throw a fire starting portion and a trap setting portion in to really see who has the skills.

Lots of fun if you do not take it to seriously and realize the first few times you WILL screw up.

OK, I shoot off a loading bench and I concede that if I had been at the Alamo I would not have wiped between shots. However, I do get out and shoot off my bench rest on the deck.

Let me just add, I shoot from the historical side of our wonderful sport.
While I do not care what others do I personally find the lengths that some people go to to be ridiculous... I would like to emulate the way our fore fathers shot and I seriously doubt Lewis Wetzel, Edward Marshall or Jaque Timothy Boucher de Montbruen carried windshield wiper fluid, Heet or any of the other myriad of products with them or used fiberglass rods when out in the woods.

If you want to do that fine, its just not for me. I will try to experience shooting as close as I can to how our ancestors did things and that is why I shoot flintlocks with spit patches and shoot as long as I want without wiping and clean with water after I am done.

You do it your way, I will do it mine.

I got into 18th Century in 1992 with a living history group. We had someone in charge that was an authority on the days of old and enforced the rules right down to the last thread
of your clothes. I have led that life and found it very hard to go back to the real world. I had my fling with woodswalks, wet moccasins, and rainy mornings as well as infected chigger bites and damned distractions like jet plane noises. I had wonderful campfires and sore ribs from laughing at a ramrod swishing into
the leaves on the way to the the target. I loved most all of it except breaking camp to go back to damned civilians. Today I shoot offhand at Friendship from the bench and wipe between shots.

Black is great but i keep hearing of a supply issue. Why switch if the fake powder is working. It can be found at places that sell smokeless. Usually but not always cheaper. And is said to be cleaner to use.
On a plus side , just bought shutzen for $21 at Kentucky Gun while on vacation.

The only time I have experienced excessive fouling from real black powder is when I load very light loads or load for a smoke and noise blank.
I do see a bit more fouling from GOEX than I get with Old Ensford, even though they are made by the same company.
As long as real black is available, I will use it exclusively.
Some time back I got several pounds of Pyrodex in a trade.
I tried to give it away, and nobody would take it. There is a reason for that.....

Shooting without wiping isn't a dream or a stunt at all. I don't wipe between shots for the simple reason that I don't have to! I like tight loads and use the wood, underbarrel rod almost exclusively. My .50 shoots a .490" ball and .024" canvas patch. For hunting I lube with mink oil but prefer Hoppes #9 BP Lube at the range. Rarely do I use 2F.

In order to shoot without wiping between shots follow these simple suggestions (I learned them from someone else years ago). Using thumb and sandpaper smooth the inside of the crown (evenly) so the lands are tapered with a gentle entry into the bore. Get thicker patching material, lube it with Hoppes or a similar liquid lube. With a tight, well lubed prb the bore is wiped clean each time you seat another load.

I think it depends on the gun.
I have a Traditions deerhunter rifle in 45 caliber. My usual load is 60 grains of 3f Old Ensyford or Swiss, 440 ball and a .010 thick Oxyoke cotton patch. Usually I just spit lube. I can load and shoot at least 10 to 12 shots without swabbing the barrel.
My Traditions deerhunter rifle in 50 caliber, pretty much the same load, a little higher on the powder,
70 to 80 grains. The barrel feels gritty after the 3rd shot and I need to swab.
At least I know that I can reload a 2nd shot while hunting without breaking out the cleaning patches.

Black is great but i keep hearing of a supply issue.
The o ly 'supply issue's I have ever heard on was just recently since the bio attack. And even when everyone was in panic I still found it. True I have to have it shipped now where I used to just drop by my local range shop - but I have yet to witness a "supply issue"...the supply is out there, for now.
Same with flints, hard at times but not impossible to find, same with caps. Heck, even .01 patch material went scarce (but Joeann and Hobby Lobby keeps ticking in supply but even they closed for a while).

Myself, I have never fired synthetic as I have never had need. What I keep hearing of, as the OP pointed out, is slower fire time.
I just watched some guy's video on YouTube where he wanted to dispel the rumors of synthetic. Problem was, he could barely get his Goex to fire, then when he got around to the synthetic - I was NOT impressed....but then I hear everyone saying "If you mix a little Goex with it, problem solved"...?? O-kay??

TREEMAN GAVE A GOOD SUMMARY. All the suggestions are good. I do not like Pyrodex
and think it is pretty dirty and corrosive. Black powder is, to me cleaner if you get the
right powder. It is all about the charcoal used and the compression on loading. The
more compression, the more crack you hear, the cleaner the shot. Swabbing between
shots is Ok ,if you want top performance. But you should be able to get those two or
three shots without leaning on the rod. As suggested ,try better powder OE or Swiss.
And play with the patch and ball fit. I have not lubed the bore- not needed.

The o ly 'supply issue's I have ever heard on was just recently since the bio attack. And even when everyone was in panic I still found it. True I have to have it shipped now where I used to just drop by my local range shop - but I have yet to witness a "supply issue"...the supply is out there, for now.
Same with flints, hard at times but not impossible to find, same with caps. Heck, even .01 patch material went scarce (but Joeann and Hobby Lobby keeps ticking in supply but even they closed for a while).

Myself, I have never fired synthetic as I have never had need. What I keep hearing of, as the OP pointed out, is slower fire time.
I just watched some guy's video on YouTube where he wanted to dispel the rumors of synthetic. Problem was, he could barely get his Goex to fire, then when he got around to the synthetic - I was NOT impressed....but then I hear everyone saying "If you mix a little Goex with it, problem solved"...?? O-kay??
I don’t use fake powder was just suggesting to op if it’s not broke don’t fix( change) it.
Have been buying directly from club for a while now.

The only time I have experienced excessive fouling from real black powder is when I load very light loads or load for a smoke and noise blank.
I do see a bit more fouling from GOEX than I get with Old Ensford, even though they are made by the same company.
As long as real black is available, I will use it exclusively.
Some time back I got several pounds of Pyrodex in a trade.
I tried to give it away, and nobody would take it. There is a reason for that.....
I'll dispose of it for you. It'll be a chore but I'll do my best for you 👍

Latest posts

Back