• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Fouling???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscarflytyer

32 Cal
Reaction score
Powder Fouling... Shooting Elephant FFg in my 58 cal ML. Fouling (after 3 shots) seems 'bad.' However, I am a complete neewb to BP. Is old Elephant worse in the fouling department?

I have Goex in FFFg for the revolver, and as I recall, fouling is not so bad(again, based on maybe <50 rds fired)

I also have/recently purchased/not opened/shot - Schuetzen FFg (new purchase) for the 58. Is it cleaner/mpre user friendly?

Thanx

Powder Fouling... Shooting Elephant FFg in my 58 cal ML. Fouling (after 3 shots) seems 'bad.' However, I am a complete neewb to BP. Is old Elephant worse in the fouling department?

I have Goex in FFFg for the revolver, and as I recall, fouling is not so bad(again, based on maybe <50 rds fired)

I also have/recently purchased/not opened/shot - Schuetzen FFg (new purchase) for the 58. Is it cleaner/mpre user friendly?

Thanx
Personally found Elephant to be one of the dirtier powders I ever used in a muzzleloader. Story from a few sources was that they left the bark on the wood when they made their charcoal resulting in the residue remaining in your bore. Don’t know, wasn’t there.

If you have a supply Elephant powder, may as well use it and deal with the mess, unless you want to save some for comparison to other powders at some point in the future.

Worst powder ever commercially made, at least in my lifetime. Weak and filthy. It does make smoke and propel lead just fine, though, so burn it up and then treat yourself to some Swiss black powder.

Even taking the brand of powder out of the equation, you will find the finer powder granulation to have less (or maybe it is just finer) fouling. Try the 3f in your .58, maybe dropping the load by 10 or 15 grains to start,,, you will probably be pleasantly surprised.

I notice a huge difference in ease of loading a second or third shot between 2f and 3f with my .62 smoothbore, especially when developing shot loads. 3f is far easier to load shots 2 and 3. With 2f shot #2 feels rough and gritty as the wads go down the barrel, shot #3 feels rough amd far tighter,,,, shot #4 is probably not going to happen. It is better with roundball, just rough, not impossible to load.

Even taking the brand of powder out of the equation, you will find the finer powder granulation to have less (or maybe it is just finer) fouling. Try the 3f in your .58, maybe dropping the load by 10 or 15 grains to start,,, you will probably be pleasantly surprised.

I notice a huge difference in ease of loading a second or third shot between 2f and 3f with my .62 smoothbore, especially when developing shot loads. 3f is far easier to load shots 2 and 3. With 2f shot #2 feels rough and gritty as the wads go down the barrel, shot #3 feels rough amd far tighter,,,, shot #4 is probably not going to happen. It is better with roundball, just rough, not impossible to load.
This has been my experience too , now I run 3F in all my rifles.

Elephant is nasty dirty powder. It was cheap back in the 90s at 4 bucks a pound. I used it in my skeet guns, but it just doesn't work well in rifles. I probably have a few pounds stashed somewhere.

Elephant was (and if you have a can left, still is) a dirty powder. At the time though, GOEX was unavailable due to a plant explosion and Elephant powder kept us shooting. It's great for making blanks as it produces great clouds of smoke and due to the lack of pressure of a blank charge, there is a lot of fouling anyway. On the positive side, we now have a new generation of GOEX powder available and Elephant powder is not in production.

When I built my first flintlock, the guy at the local shop sold me elephant. Said it was top of the line. I shot 2 or 3 rounds and it fouled so bad I stuck a ball halfway down the barrel and broke my ramrod. I still have some elephant and now only fire it in my mortar. It is trash in a rifle in my experience. Hard to foul artillery.

Thanx
As said, save the Elephant for a very rainy day. Use your Goex 3F or your Schuetzen 2F for better results. When your able to, buy some Swiss.

Latest posts

Back