• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ever Wonder How Much Your Flask Holds?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well today I measured some flasks by volume with Grafs (Schuetzen) 3FG Black Powder. Not super precise, just leveled out in a measuring cup.

First up was a CVA Powder Horn (ML032), the largest powder carrier size wise compared with the flasks. It held a measly 4 ounces.

All Flasks are Pedersoli:

E. Pluribus Unum: 1.5 ounces
Remington Pistol: 4 ounces
Colt Pistol: 6 ounces
French Flask: 7 ounces

I thought for sure that Frenchy was going to hold a lot more than the Colt but looks are deceiving to me eye, they are not that different in size.

Now I'll have a better idea of how many shots we can get from a particular flask with a particular spout (load).

Anyone done it by weight or with more precision?

I never considered converting ounces to grains by volume. I fill my horns and use them to fill my powder measure at the range without another thought since home and back is only 55 miles and at present, there is another 12# of 3F at home. However, 150 years ago or on a long remote trek today... baxter

I was going to answer "a half pint" but I guess that is the wrong flask! :wink:

I have three horns and they hold from 1/2 to 1/3 pounds. I can get thru four match shoot with either. I always fill them when I get home.

Geo. T.

Not flasks, but I measured my two favorite horns, filling them then dumping into a 100 grain measure until it was all gone.

The one I use more often than any other holds 1,000 grains by volume, or a little over 2 ounces if you consider 7,000 grains per pound. (I know, volume vs weight). It's a little "pocket" horn I keep in my bag rather than outside on a strap. About the size of half a banana.

The second horn holds 2100 grains or almost 5 ounces. It's mounted for carry on bag straps, and roughly 7" x 2".

I don't like to carry a lot of powder in our wet climate. I only fill the larger one about half full and restrict use to non-rainy days. On rainy days I go ahead and fill the smaller one and put in my bag or pocket.

Not a big deal with such small horns. 1,000-grains gives me 100 shots in my 30 cal, and around a dozen shots in my 50 or 54 cals, or eight with a 58 or 62 cal. Enuff.

In the past when it was just me or with a kid or two along, we never emptied the Remington flask.

Then one day I introduced a buddy to the sport and we had a literal blast shooting our Remingtons but ran out of powder.

Came across a Colt flask in a deal, fixed it and filled that and the Remington flask and had a good afternoon shooting with my buddy and 3 other friends. We again ran out of powder, just as well, we were all tired anyway.

Now we know we can shoot about 60 rounds through the Remington flask with 28 grain charges or about 90 with the Colt flask. Plenty for one shooter but a might light for two with one flask.

I have a buffalo horn that I can get about 30 shots from. I shoot 50 grains in my .40 flintlock so that is about 1500 grains which is not quite 1/4 pound of powder. Also I know that a pound of powder will last me for four of our club woodswalks with each woodswalk consisting of 27 targets. I have a bit of powder left over in a one pound can after 4 woodswalks. It all points to a horn capacity of just under 1/4 pound.

I don't use horns I use a cartridge box. I can get 60 rounds of 60 grain in a box and over 100 musket caps in the cap box. More than enough for 1 afternoon of firing. Use the same cartridge box for civil war reenacting, but 60 blank rounds. Just have to remember to swap out from one to the other.

I have never really thought about it either. Like others have said I shake my horn or flask. If it feels half full and I think I'll need more, I fill it or bring my can with me.

I empty my flask at the end of a range session and refill it the next time I'm there.

I am a bit more curious as to how much it holds now. It's a small round brass CVA flask my father gave me. I have to refill it a couple of times while at the range. Guess I'll just have to figure it out...

I swap powders. For my rifle I'm burning up the last of the Pyrodex my father gave me.

Through my pistol I've been using either Olde Eynsford or Triple 7.

This way I don't get anything mixed up.

Ogre said:
nchawkeye said:
I just shake my horn, if it feels half full, I'm good...

For a more accurate measurement I light a match and look through the end............. :doh:

don't laugh too loud ... there's a story about a fellow who used that method to check the fuel level of his snowmobile (it was in New Hampshire, I believe). luckily his friends got him gang tackled and away from the machine ... I guess they wanted to spend their weekend snowmobiling, not visiting the hospital.

Back