• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Evapo-Rust

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katahdin

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone use it, advertisement reads "Just soak,rinse,&reuse" Super safe rust remover ???? www.Evapo-Rust.com If it works as it reads,that would slicker than frog fur,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used it twice with mixed results.

once on a socket set that was in a bucket that somehow got a couple inches water in it & rusted/froze up it worked pretty good but took several days.

second time my Lyman ingot mold got an even coat of moderate rust on it. put it in a container & covered with Evapo-Rust. again it took several days. when all was gone except bottom of slots I figgered one more day would get it. forgot it for a few days & when I got it out there was a thick coat of a tar-like sediment in all 4 cavities that was the dickens to remove with a can of carb cleaner & a wore-out toothbrush.

can't say as to the re-usable aspect of it.

I've been using it and so far it has worked as claimed for me, I have never left anything in it for longer than 12 hours (per the intstructions) and it needs a temp. of at least 65 F (IIRC) to work. I buy it a Harbor Freight, and it works better than Coke.

I used it on a shotgun barrel that came out of a trash barrel full of junk and rainwater, outside, behind a gunshop. The barrel had a slight bend in it a couple inches from the muzzle and had been tossed out. Cutting it off to a shorter but still quite legal length met my needs just fine.
As acquired, it was totally red...but there was no significant corrosion or dangerously serious pitting. I used Evapo-Rust on it by filling a capped PVC pipe and soaking the barrel in the stuff.
Took a while, and the barrel certainly did not come out "like-new"..but hey..it was free, and after buffing the (now...)rust-free metal and re- bluing it is working great.
I highly recommend it for certain jobs.

Or you could save money by soaking it in lye (sodium hydroxide), assorted acids (acetic [vinegar], citric[food grade], oxalic, boric) also work and won't burn you but will remove bluing unlike lye. Soaking it in molasses is recommended by many. This is an acid process from the reaction between the rust and molasses. I recommend oxalic acid but be aware that drinking it (pets love it) can cause kidney damage. 2 or 3 days in a saturated oxalic acid solution will chelate every scrap of rust. Then scrub the muck off with a nail and toothbrush under running water.

I bought 2 muzzle loaders that had been shot and not cleaned. One was left loaded. Removed breech plugs and both were pitted and a rusty mess. Plugged and filled them, let soak a couple days. Poured it out, flushed with soapy water blew out and refilled. Let soak a couple days and flushed again. Did this three times before I pulled the breech plugs and checked again. It removed all the rust even from the deep pitting. I am sold on it and have tried it on other things with equal results.

my .50 was like that when i got it. steel wooled the barrel till all loose rust was gone. then waxed the nipple and filled the barrel with evaporust. next day, i dumped it, brass brushed it, light oil and went to the range.
worked as advertised.

Raedwald said:
Or you could save money by soaking it in lye (sodium hydroxide), assorted acids (acetic [vinegar], citric[food grade], oxalic, boric) also work and won't burn you but will remove bluing unlike lye.

I've used Evapo-rust and it does work well. It's a bit expensive, so recently I was looking for a lower cost alternative, as I have a good number of rusted tools that need to e refurbished and the amount of Evapo-rust needed would likely break the bank. An internet search yielded several articles about using common household vinegar. I was skeptical (could it really be that easy!?), but I tried it. I soaked some badly rusted router bits in a mason jar full of vinegar for 24 hours. When I pulled the bits out of the vineger I ran hot tap water over them and rubbed with my fingers, and the layers of rust just fell off!! This left the bit surface bare, clean steel. Even the carbide edge of the bits were sharp as ever! Now I'm a believer. I've since de-rusted drill bits, the blade of a cabinet-makers square, saw blades, even a box of rusted nails. I went to my local Costco and picked up 4-1 gallon bottles of vinegar for less than $20. I have a table saw table, bandsaw table, and a drill press column that need the treatment. I'll have to get creative with the press - I'll probably cap off a length of PVC pipe to soak it in. It'll be work, but it's great to know I'll be able to do it at reasonable cost.

In fact, as I'm writing this, I have the very rusty bore of an old Traditions Hawken Percussion rifle soaking in it. The rifle was given to me when I helped the original owner move. It was in badly neglected condition, but I cleaned up the outside of it and wanted to try the vinegar treatment on the bore before trying to order a replacement barrel. If it's not pitted too badly and actually shoots, I'll have a nice rifle for black powder season.

Of course the downside is every time I soak a tool, the smell makes me hungry for a salad... :wink:

Back