• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Euroarms Brescia

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue River

45 Cal.
Reaction score
On a whim I picked up a Euroarms Brescia .44 cal. New Model Army. I know nothing about cap and ball revolvers and I'm not sure what I have! Looked nice! It has an 8 inch round barrel, engraved cylinder, case harden frame, brass trigger plate and grip frame and looks like walnut grips. The action is tight and it doesn't appear to been used much if at all. Serial #0XXX. What I would like to know is anyones opinion of the pistol and ball park figure on whats you would think the worth would be (high/low). Also it's a replica of what? Thank You in advance!

That sounds like a reproduction Colt 1860 Army model. Euroarms is a reputable maker and IIRC they have discontinued making that Colt model. Or at least they're not seen around nearly as much as the other major brands.
There's a stamped proof date code usually consisting of 2 letters inside of a box.
Can you tell us what they are?

IMO the ball park figure could be anywhere between $175 - $250 depending on condition, where it's being sold and who really wants to buy it.

I found a DGG inside a circle on the underside of the barrel and on the barrel and the frame are the letters PN, no box. On the cylinder is engraved "Engaged 18 May 1843". The engraving on the cylinder is a battle scene of ships.

Ebay161.jpg
I hope this works!

That's a Colt 1860 Army model revolver. It's post-2002, but you can get a more precise date from the proof marks.

Rogue River
The DGG represents either Armi San Paolo or Euroarms S.r.l. which Armi bacame in 1970.

The PN stamping is part of the Proof test marking in Italy.

Elsewhere somewhere around the proof marking (there are two stamped adjacent to one another) will be either some roman numberls or some letters, usually found in a rectangular box.

These letters represent the year the gun was proofed.
Follow this link to find out what these date marks are and the year they represent. (This only works for Italian guns). http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/236956/

The 1860 Colt Army is the successor to the Colt Dragoon pistols which were also .44 caliber.
They were made starting in 1860 and continued to be made thru 1873.

The cylinder engraving represents a Naval battle between the Texans and Mexico. It was Colts way of telling people that they had a real Colt.

Although they are called .44 caliber they shoot a .453 diameter lead roundball (without a patch).
The ball is loaded into the chamber following the powder. The loading lever provides the force to shear off a small ring of lead from the ball as it enters the chamber. This provides a seal against the flames from the firing chamber and serves to hold the ball in place during recoil.

Most modern shooters apply some grease like Crisco over the ball to provide lubrication and to serve as a additional barrier to the flames from the firing chamber.

As mentioned you would need a .45.454 diameter lead ball to load your gun.
3Fg powder is recommended but 2Fg will work in a pinch. The synthetic black powders work well in cap & ball revolvers.

The nipples usually like a #11 cap although some work better with a #10.

Look thru the Pistol Forum for gobs of information about shooting these pistols.

Because your gun is a steel frame (as were the originals) its value could range from $25-$250 depending on the guns condition and where you live.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the right side of the frame below the cylinder between 2 proof marks is XXX but no box. So if I understand right the gun was made in 1974 ? I thank everyone for their information!

Zonie: Thanks for all the info. This pistol had the shoulder stock on it that I inguired about in an earlier post! :)

The sholder stock may be worth more then the revolver itself they arnt seen that often for resale

Latest posts

Back