• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Euroarms New Model Army Nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, does anyone know what thread to which the Euroarms New Model Army Nipples are cut? I bought a gun on this site and it disassembled quite well, but when I went to put the nipple back in it hangs up. I tried another nipple in the same cylinder and got the same result. The threads look fine! The nipples both go into other cylinders just fine, too - so they are ok. I want to either re-tap the cylinder, or just run a long bolt from the other side of the cylinder through the hole with the correct threads to clear it if there is a bit of crimping on the threads that I cannot see. Thanks for the help!

Buy a small 45-degree chamfering tool and bevel the leading edge of the cylinder threads.

Then chuck up your nipples and file or stone a 45-degree chamfer on those threads too.

Cut to the root depth on both internal and external threads.

Last edited:
Hello, does anyone know what thread to which the Euroarms New Model Army Nipples are cut? I bought a gun on this site and it disassembled quite well, but when I went to put the nipple back in it hangs up. I tried another nipple in the same cylinder and got the same result. The threads look fine! The nipples both go into other cylinders just fine, too - so they are ok. I want to either re-tap the cylinder, or just run a long bolt from the other side of the cylinder through the hole with the correct threads to clear it if there is a bit of crimping on the threads that I cannot see. Thanks for the help!
Sometimes a precise threaded item has to be re-inserted at just the specific spot where the threading starts, unlike my peanut butter jar that I'm always screwing the lid on crooked!

Sometimes a precise threaded item has to be re-inserted at just the specific spot where the threading starts, unlike my peanut butter jar that I'm always screwing the lid on crooked!
Those threads have only one lead and are in no way precise threads.

If the chamfers are cut correctly, the nipples will spin into that cylinder with ease.

No need to try and time or clock the nipples.

I know this thread is a month old but we don't know if you got the nipples back on, but if not, try slowly rotating them CCW and with a little practice you can 'sort of' feel the male lead thread fall into the cylinders female thread lead. Stop at that point and try starting the thread.

If the nipples came out easily there is likely no thread damage. If any came out tight all the way, there is good chance there is thread damage to both threads. A fine file can clean them up the male threads if it's just in the lead area, otherwise a bottom tap for the cylinder and die / thread chaser for nipple will probably fix things up.

I know this thread is a month old but we don't know if you got the nipples back on, but if not, try slowly rotating them CCW and with a little practice you can 'sort of' feel the male lead thread fall into the cylinders female thread lead. Stop at that point and try starting the thread.

If the nipples came out easily there is likely no thread damage. If any came out tight all the way, there is good chance there is thread damage to both threads. A fine file can clean them up the male threads if it's just in the lead area, otherwise a bottom tap for the cylinder and die / thread chaser for nipple will probably fix things up.
I bought a 6X75 tap and re-tapped it, The tap slid in like butter and so did the nipple. I am all good.

Back