• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Epoxy heat sealing....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a saltwater lure builder and over the years developed a technique for sealing plugs that's pretty much bullet proof.
The fully machined plug is heated until it's pretty warm, but not hot, then it's liberally slathered inside and out with long cure epoxy. All excess is removed inside and out and it's left to cure for 48 hours.
A final sanding with 400 grit and a wipe down with alcohol to remove the haze and it's ready for paint and an epoxy topcoat. In this case it would be ready for a polishing.

Working on a vintage CVA squirrel gun kit right now and wondering if i should try it. I like the idea that it would harden and help protect the carving

Is there any reason I haven't thought of that I shouldn't do this
This would be the largest piece I've ever attempted to seal by far

-270839644_20200712_180159_4502700.jpg

I'm a saltwater lure builder and over the years developed a technique for sealing plugs that's pretty much bullet proof.
The fully machined plug is heated until it's pretty warm, but not hot, then it's liberally slathered inside and out with long cure epoxy. All excess is removed inside and out and it's left to cure for 48 hours.
A final sanding with 400 grit and a wipe down with alcohol to remove the haze and it's ready for paint and an epoxy topcoat. In this case it would be ready for a polishing.

Working on a vintage CVA squirrel gun kit right now and wondering if i should try it. I like the idea that it would harden and help protect the carving
If you like your idea, for yourself, go for it. If you want to ever sell the rifle, it most likely will not be to a black powder shooter.
No thanks for my taste.
Larry

This is a shooter and I'm looking for actual reasons why it might not work or might cause a functional problem .

Because "I don't like it" or "it's not traditional" is not an answer I care about so please don't bother spending the effort to answer.

I like the idea, just not time or period correct. It is not an original valuable firearm you would be destroying, and if it is going to be shooter,and hunting gun that finish will take a beating. Can not be any worst than a factory finish, in fact probably better.;) If it was me, and I had the knowledge, I would go for it ,I see no disadvantage:thumb:

It is not an original valuable firearm you would be destroying,

If it was me, and I had the knowledge, I would go for it ,I see no disadvantage:thumb:

I would NEVER do that, this is a crappy CVA kit with a really boring piece of wood.

Unless someone comes up with a functional reason not to do it, I'm going to finish up the inletting and shove her in the oven.

One downside that comes to mind is, how difficult is it to remove ? I ask that question because if the gun should ever need refinished or for some reason the finish needs stripped, how much trouble would it be.

I don’t like the idea of something really hard that needs aggressive means to remove, that would mean damaging the carvings.

Only input I have is I would use iron nitrate to stain....not a wipe on stain. That's the only problem I can think of is the epoxy might not soak into the wood and bond with some wipe on stains. I'd have to try the stain and epoxy on a scrap piece of wood first.

Oh manure, thanks for that !!
I hadn't thought of this (the exact reason I started this thread !!)
I've already stained it to bring out any detail work that needs to be done.

I'll do a test run on a scrap of maple I have that's similar in density

Back