• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

English flint turnbarrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAJones

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Our local County museum had a brace of brass framed/barreled flintlock turnbarrel pistols, made by Wilson. The barrels unscrewed easily by hand, & when I pointed out the accumulation of powder residue & pointed out it would eventually corrode even brass, the curator loaned them to me to clean, catalog, & preserve.

So after much scrubbing, I did get the powder residue out of the powder chamber & barrel. And yes, the barrels were corroded or otherwise scarred. When I had it cleaned, I poured the powder chamber full, tapped the butt, poured in a few more grains, & when no more would fit, weighed the charge. Would you believe 18.8 grs of FFFG? With a bore diameter of .590?

The triggerguards were set up to slide about 1/8", w/ a spring & detent to hold it at each end. Couldn't figure out what it does, but the lock action was too damaged to test. Mainspring slips off the tumblers 'cause the brass frame was peened off by innumberable hammerings by the cock so now the cock hits the pan to stop. Anyone have an idea why the t/g would slide? some kind of safety?

Incidentally, this small backwoods museum was robbed of most of its' pistols about a month ago; 2 1851 Colts, a Remington New Model Army, Colt SAA, S&W Russian plus several others. The curator had almost no info on the pistols, so tracing them was difficult, but the kid that stole them tried to sell them to a Boise gun store that did get a hit on the few serial numbers recorded. Hence the curator's ready agreement to catalog what was left. And a warning to all out there: make a complete record of your guns just in case. Include stampings and measurements as well as serial numbers. Photos help.

Latest posts

Back