• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scottish ramshorn pistol modification advice...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear ML Forum members,
This thread is based on one started back in 2019 by Glenn Osborne (whom I don't think is a member anymore) who had some interesting fabrication insights into modifying a Dixie GunWorks/Middlesex Trading Co.-type of the India-made all steel flintlock Scottish pistols sold over the past few decades that replicated the 18th Century Murdoch-style ramshorn pistol. In his 2019 thread, Mr. Osborne mentioned that he was able to take a "propane torch" to the ramshorn "curls" and were able to turn them - my concern and question is: can you get enough heat on the metal using a Worthington MAP/ProGrade torch to soften it to bend? I figured I've have to find a blacksmith with either a coal or gas forge for this step in the process, but if anyone out there has any suggestions about the heating process, etc., I'd truly appreciate your input...

Attached is a pix of the pistol I'm working on to give you an idea of where I am at in my modifications in the design elements...: I'm shaping the brass trigger and pricker ball out of a threaded 3/4" brass ball; the brass ramrod will be more decorative than functional; the long piece of brass flat bar stock seen above the pistol will be annealed, scored and bent on a bench vise then filed down to the desired design elements for the belt hook. My last major obstacle is to braze/weld on the filed down piece of mild steel to the front of the existing steel frame under the barrel (which can be seen in front of the black zip-tie holding the barrel down). Once finished, I will polish up the steel frame, try some simple chasing design elements (like fluting the brass barrel, as found on some of the originals), then blue the frame (has anyone ever tried to inlay silver wire into steel? I'd be curious to see how difficult a process that would be, so if I do any future engraving, it will likely be simple Celtic design elements using a graver). Thanks for your time and attention and kind regards,
Prairie Banditti

Attachments

• RamshornProgress.21Feb2023.jpg
    RamshornProgress.21Feb2023.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 3
Back