• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Empty Metal Goex Cans

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After realizing I had 2 FFg cans of GOEX that I was using, I consolidate the powder into a single can which left me with my first empty. Any uses for these?
I don't know, but Black Powder guys seem not to ever want to throw a Metal Can away! Like many, I still have my original 1st DuPont Can from the1960's! :)

Similar thing happened to me. I still had empty cans from the '60s, Dupont, smokeless and the smokeless I have is most all in metal cans except for a multipound Bullseye can made of cardboard. But then to have a peaceful home it does require sacrifice even if dumping them is costly, and it is.
I ain’t greenbroke…:cool:

I don't know, but Black Powder guys seem not to ever want to throw a Metal Can away! Like many, I still have my original 1st DuPont Can from the1960's! :)
I hang onto empty Altoids Tins…they make awesome containers for lubed fibre wads for my smoothbores.

The small Altoids Tins are great for packing small calibre… .32 -.40 calibre….RBs for a day’s trek into the woods, looking for small game.

We be pack-rats…at times.

Apparently, some smokeless powders interact with others if stored side-by-side in my non-climate controlled garage. Black powder, not so much. "Shuffling" my cache after maybe 10 years, lesson learned.

Old DuPont oval cans from the 60's - still perfect, powder good. "Elephant" b/p - unopened - perfect. Partially used - one was "clumpy" (4FFg). Goex - no problem, but it's mostly newer.

Powder stored in non-powder plastic containers? One morphed into the consistency of an egg shell, fell apart when I moved it. Don't make the same mistake. Metal cans are supposed to have been coated on the inside (even antique ones) for protection.

I have one empty 2fg can, and once my 4fg is gone, (in probably 10 years), I'll have two empty metal cans. I'll save them just for shelf decorations.

Our clubs just bought Schuetzen powder in 50 lb bags at $12.00 pound and now scrambling to get enough one pound metal or plastic powder containers to parcel it up. I use my old metal GOEX cans to not only hold powder but to make nice pierced tin candle lanterns and electric bulb night lights. I put a cannon fuse on the screw on top. When it is getting late and I want to hint to my guests that it is time to leave I light the fuse and place the can down on the coffee table. They don't know the unpierced can is filled with sand but I don't have many lingering guests around when I say it's time for my bedtime.

So when Black Powder is made in the US again, you would prefer to see it in metal cans even if it cost more? If the can was made in the USA as well and cost twice as much as the import, would you pay more?

Latest posts

Back