• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

emergency cow's knee?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
A week or so ago I went out deer hunting without bothering to look at the weather forecast. On the drive to the farm it started to snow just a little bit. First snow of the year.

As I left the Jeep the flurries got a little heavier.

Just as I got to where I wanted to sit in a fallen treetop the snow really started coming down. Now it was turning into a wet, heavy snow that was covering everything. I began to worry about keeping my lock dry.

My good oiled leather cow's knee would be just the ticket. Unfortunately that particular item was nice and dry and warm back home in my haversack. All I had with me was my bag and horn, my foam butt pad, and my lunch bag.

Well, inside my lunch bag was a zip top baggie with several Oreos in it. I was forced to eat all of the Oreos but the baggie saved the day.

After splitting the sides of the empty baggie about half way down, I put it over the lock and zipped the top shut on the bottom of my rifle. It ain't PC but it did a great job of keeping the snow off my lock. :thumbsup:

I always carry a bandanna with me when hunting...it has come in handy more than once as a first aid item...It has also been used as a cow's knee....much in the same manner as you did... :thumbsup:

I always carry a bandanna with me when hunting...it has come in handy more than once as a first aid item...It has also been used as a cow's knee....much in the same manner as you did...

Ditto! :thumbsup:

'Cept mine after the first such use was given some wax on one corner to better ward off the rain. Works well in a pinch.

LD

colorado clyde said:
I always carry a bandanna with me when hunting...it has come in handy more than once as a first aid item...It has also been used as a cow's knee....much in the same manner as you did... :thumbsup:

I had to read that twice. I thought you said you carry a banana with you. I hurt my brain trying to use the peel as a cows knee, never mind emergency first aid.
I need more coffee. :doh:

Ames said:
colorado clyde said:

I had to read that twice. I thought you said you carry a banana with you. I hurt my brain trying to use the peel as a cows knee, never mind emergency first aid.
I need more coffee. :doh:
Ha Ha. That's the way I read it at first too! :rotf:

:haha: I hear `ya Clyde. But when you think about it, none of us want to catch the dreaded disease Wetpowderitis or infection of the pan.

Definition of prophylactic:

1. guarding from or preventing the spread or occurrence of disease or infection

colorado clyde said:
On the serious side....I think condensation could be a serious issue.

Used them a half dozen times or so over the last few years (it tends to rain a bit during hunting season down here in Louisiana :grin: ). Never had a condensation problem.

Jethro, so sorry you had to eat all those Oreos. I've used baggies in the past; but now when it rains, snows, etc, I stay at home - old age brings wisdom.

Eating those Oreo's was the sacrifice I had to make due to my lack of enough wisdom to stay home. :surrender: It was tough but it had to be done.

that just looks soooo wrong.... a dozen jokes are going through my head, from a "prophylactic" to couch slip covers..

DUDE!
If we packaged them in single, tear-open containers, and sold them in groups of three inside cardboard boxes, and called them "Gun Condoms" I bet we could be millionaires!

LD

Great ingenuity.

Oh, a condom over the muzzle in a dust storm or rain or snow can also come in handy. Don't worry about taking it off to shoot, just shoot through it.

Gus

Latest posts

Back