• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Embers left in the barrel after a shot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also blow down the barrel and look to see that smoke is coming out of the vent. I blow once or twice more until the smoke stops.

And I am never in a hurry, taking my time reloading.

I swab with a patch dampened with spit every 5 or 6 rounds.

Normally, even with precut patches, a rifle shooter is taking (at the fastest) about 2X the time a musket shooter takes when speed loading. BUT a normal rifle shooter takes around a minute when loading the rifle with a series of motions that have been practiced, which is 4X the time of the musket-for-speed. (A new or "rusty" rifle shooter will go even slower to be precise in the loading task.) Couple that with the need for a tight patch and ball, and you get the need for every few shots (or after every shot) a swabbing of the bore, and you pretty much eliminate a cook-off problem for the rifle user.

LD

A couple of years ago I read in another forum that using Crisco as a lube or part of a lube recipe has caused cook offs at N-SSA skirmishes. Is anyone familiar with this or heard the same? Haven't seen anything mentioned about it in this thread........in reference to cook offs!

I get it. 🤣
"Crisco and "cook offs"", like in cooking a fish or a hamburger in Crisco. Bah, ha, ha, ha. 🤣🤣

Seriously, Crisco is just partially hydrogenated vegetable oil to change it from a liquid to a solid. In my opinion, there is nothing about it that could lead to a muzzleloader firing when a new load of powder was dumped down the barrel.

There was a video on YouTube of a reenactor who was preforming for a crowd. The announcer said he was gonna get off (I think ) 4 rounds in a minute. On the last round he was bringing the gun to his shoulder and it went off. Looked like a "cook off" to me.

I recall reading a veteran of Gettysburg on Little Round Top say his musket cooked off, he grabbed a fallen solder's musket and kept shooting until it cooked off. He went thru 3 guns, each cooked off.

SO...Can it Happen???? YES...Will it Happen....unlikely.

You pays your money and you takes your chance...thats life.

A properly cleaned barrel (and no rust) shouldn’t really capture embers, older guns with pitting in the bore could.

As a practice I do grease swab after every 3 shots, lately I’ve been using canola oil at the range, it works pretty good.

Latest posts

Back