• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Elephant powder, how good?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More info --
"Elephant
Although Elephant brand black powder was only sold in the United States for a relatively brief period of less than I decade, I still come across it now and then.

Manufactured by the Pernambuco Powder Factory in Brazil, over two million pounds of Elephant Brand Black Powder was imported into the United States between 1992 and 2001 (Knight 2). It is difficult to say what percentage was sold for military and pyrotechnic applications but the primary market was for muzzle loading firearms.

At varying times, Elephant Blackpowder was packaged in plastic bottles and steel cans. The essay, "S/A Pernambuco Powder Factory - The Final Years, 1992 to 2001" goes into a fair amount of detail to explain the history of the brands packaging

By most accounts, it was pretty good black powder but quality varied some what from year to year. According to some souces, 1999 was perhaps the best run.

Personally, I have only had experience with vintage 1997 Elephant Blackpowder but I found it to be perfectly satisfactory but although it did not burn quite as cleanly as Goex.

Though the Pernabuco factory had been in business for over a hundred years previous to the first shipment to the U.S, it seems that they saw little opportunity for sales in North America. According to William Knight's paper on the Pernambuco Powder Factory, it was only after a 1991 explosion at the Goex Plant had resulted in a black powder shortage in the U.S. did the time seem right to enter the American Market. The Pernambuco Powder Factory closed its doors in 2001.

A few years later however, the business was restarted in Brazil at a new location, under new management under the company name of, Elephant Industria Quimica. The powder made by this plant is sold in the U.S. under the Diamondback brand."

A few years later however, the business was restarted in Brazil at a new location, under new management under the company name of, Elephant Industria Quimica. The powder made by this plant is sold in the U.S. under the Diamondback brand."

I tried both the original "Elephant" BP years ago (still have some 4Fg) and its Diamondback replacement and the difference was pronounced. The latter was much cleaner, and I think energetic, than the latter. I wish I could still get the Diamondback brand, as it is was excellent value.

I shot a lot of Elephant powder back in the day. It was weaker, it was dirtier...but its not like it was cursed. Just shoot it.

I shot a lot of Elephant powder in the eighties nineties. When I ran out and they went out of business, retired my elephant foot hammer.
Elephant didn't have as much power as GOEX or Swiss. Those were lean years for me so I burned what I could get.

Attachments

• elephant foot hammer.JPG
    elephant foot hammer.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
From what I saw at my friends house, the powder was from 1999 and 2000. Back in 2004 I met Bill Knight AKA the Mad Monk, at Dixon's and spent an hour or so listening to him discourse on black powder and its manufacture. From what I remember it jives with what was said here about the latest lots being better. I believe I'll pick it up and try mixing it with some GOEX and playing around with it, keeping some pure GOEX for serious work. Many thanks for the info.

I was given two pounds by a friend one 3F and one 4f. gave the 4f to a flintlock shooter. I shot the 3f through a 45 Cherokee and yep it was dirty but I was able to shoot decent groups with it. I would not mix it with Goex or if I did I would do it in small amounts. Each powder has its own qualities and I would use each as they are so not to turn good Goex into less effective dirtier Goex if that makes sense.

Just a thought. DuPont came to America and started making powder, I’m thinking 1810(?).
Found American powder dirty and lower powered.
Maybe Elephant was closer to what Boone shot?

In the late 1980, Elephant Black Powder was sold in the UK I used several cans of it in muzzle loading shotguns the grains were highly polished it was not a bad powder
Feltwad

I also use it in my shotguns and still have about 1-1/2 cans of 2F left. I keep the GOEX for my rifles & pistols. As others have said you just have to clean more often - no "biggie" --- sure beats using the imitation stuff:ghostly:;)

I shot a lot of Elephant powder in the eighties nineties. When I ran out and they went out of business, retired my elephant foot hammer.
Elephant didn't have as much power as GOEX or Swiss. Those were lean years for me so I burned what I could get.
don't you know the reason that they went out of business is because you bought and shot up all that they had? LOL!! I have never seen an ELEPHANF FOOT HAMMER? do you have a pair of them? were they on a DBL or a single shot? it is KILLER!

Latest posts

Back