• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Easy Squirrel Tanning?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bezoar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well Im trying to find good information on tanning squirrel hides, both with and without the fur on. I have had bad luck finding good reliable information So am seeking here for good reliable information.

My goal is to make a few pouces and eventually a hat of some kind.

I use a product called "Tannit" which you can get from Tandy Leather company. First you salt the hide using salt that has no Iodine in it. Then scrape the hide to get all the fat and flesh off of it, then salt again. Then use the Tannit. Rub it in and let it dry.

To get the hair off, put mix hardwood ashes and water in a bucket. Use a lot of ashes, but not so much that you make a paste. Soak the hide in there for several days, until you can easily scrape the hair off. Then go ahead and use the Tannit per instructions.

Hope this helps!

-SHOOEY!

Either way - hair (actually, squirrel "hair" is called "vair", they have no "fur") on or hair off, a good alum/salt solution would be my first choice. And by the way, alum process is known as "tawing," not tanning. Just for what it's worth... Anyhow, loads of very good information, and I hope that it is permissible to post another website -[url] www.braintan.com[/url] - go to the resources section and "The HideOut," you'll be somthered with information.

Beware: It can become as addicting as this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rittels tanning supplies sells a kit that has very good step by step instructions. As soon as you skin one, flesh and salt the flesh side for 24 hours allowing it to drain, then let it dry. They can be stored for months after drying.

Tandy leather used to make a full tanning kit. If they still do and it's the same as they made back in the '70's, it's a very easy process and you get great results. I did a deer hide and a couple rabbit pelts as a kid back in the '70's and they all turned out great.

Cant really figure out their forums, to many references to "egging" hides that ive never heard of before.

Well i have once squiirel skinned and salted. I fleshed it as best as i could, and have some questions.
Is it normal for a salted and fleshed out squirrel skin to be translucent and let me see light and even my finger through the skin itself when i hold it in my hand?
There is a layer of membrane still on the actual skin, when it was still wet i tried scraping it off, but it only came back, so after salting it, i find that this layer has roughened up and formed small tendrils on my hide, sand paper and scrapper wont touch it, so what do i do?

Haven't tried this yet, but...

Boil 1 gallon of water...

Shave 3 bars of IVORY soap into the boiling water...

Dilute soap water with 3 gallons of warm water...

Soak and slosh hides around in this mix for 1 day (maybe off on the time, as I write from memory here)

Rinse several times with clean cool water...

The glycerine is supposed to "tan" the hide...

As I say, I haven't tried it yet...

Legion

I think that would work even better if you added a cup of olive oil to the soap and used just enough water to make a paste. Smear this paste on only the skin side of the hide. Then soften as usual.

Back