• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An interesting dueling pistol looking for info!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have this obviously French (St Eitene proofs) that I was considering listing for sale but would like to get some more information about it. It is .53 smoothbore stocked in burl walnut has a damascus barrel and inlaid in gold on the lockplate the name Aury and on the breech the number 2. I couldn't find any gunmaker by the name Aury but did learn the following from Bard googles AI.
Yes, the name Aury does appear among 19th century French aristocrats. Here are a few examples:

Louis Marie Charles Aury de La Roche-Aimon (1794-1877) was a French aristocrat and military officer. He was the son of Louis Marie Aury, Marquis de La Roche-Aimon, and Marie Louise de La Rochefoucauld. He served in the French army during the Napoleonic Wars, and was decorated with the Legion of Honor. After the war, he retired to his estate in Brittany.
I took the barrel out of the stock and stamped in the barrel channel is the name A. Chosson. Back to bard.
1830 - 1860
A later A. Chosson was active in the mid-19th century and is best known for his work on percussion firearms. He was particularly known for his percussion pistols, which were popular among both civilians and military personnel. A. Chosson also produced a number of guns for export.
The gun is in very good shape considering it's age and could be shot as is. The bore has a bit of mild corrosion but nothing serious and everything works as it should.
I was hoping one of the historians might have some additional information as well as an idea as to value.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 0
The value is what the market will bring. You'll see guys ask prices that are sky high (listed for a period of time with no offers). After a period of time they are no longer listed. Go to the better auction sites and see what like pistols are bringing. It's a guessing game when it comes down to values anymore (that's a voice of experience).

Have been around antique weapons my whole life of 83 years with family antique stores. Was Cabela's Antique Weapons Appraiser for a dozen years for a couple dozen of their stores, what a circus that was, you gave as close as possible the value at the time on the customers hand-me-down. In some cases the customer wouldn't believe the value because a relative said it was worth more. Sorry got off your question.

From what you provided for information you found, I don't know what else anyone can provide other than a guess on the value. Like said: "Go to the better auction sites and see what like pistols are bringing."

Back