• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dumping Ballistol and Gun Oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soa

I use soap (Dawn ) water, & follow up with CLEAN oil.. I like 10w40... never had a problem.. once in a while I snatch a dipper of raw crude to use on my hunting guns.. the smell of raw crude is familiar in the woods, Hoppe's isn't a normal woods smell... if I can smell your cleaned gun on opening day, deer will too...
Unless people bath their guns in Hoppe's, the deer will never smell it.

Hunters have been killing deer with Hoppe's on their firearms since 1903.

That's a lot of dead deer.

Last edited:
I'm 73 and had hopes of smartness coming soon but guess even 76 is still too soon. Is there ever going to come a day?

In the meantime, I'll keep on using Barricade for long term storage. So far, it has done a great job. Mink oil is my newest "best patch lube ever".
Those two have been my favorites also.

Been shooting BP since 1968 and have used just about everything under the sun. Some of it worked and some of it ... not so much. Nowdays if I am at the range or in the field, I just use Ballistol and water... about 10 parts water to one part Ballistol. Works great. Then pure Ballistol to oil it up. Works great also. If I am at home I use water to clean with and Ballistol to lube with. Everyone else can use whatever yanks your crank and that is fine. Just don't tell me what I use is wrong.

Soap and water to clean, A little gun oil for the lock works- occasionally, and RIG for oiling, wiping down and preserving the bore, barrel exterior and other metal parts. Works great, and not expensive.
For those of you using Rig grease for bore protection, what are you cleaning it out of the bore with ? I used it one time because my cousin suggested it but it was a bugger to remove so I could shoot that day. Barricade comes out with just an alcohol patch.

I'm usually well stocked, but at the point where my cleaning supplies are running low. I shoot multiple long and short BP arms quite often and therefore clean a lot of guns and go through a fair amount of cleaning and lubricating products. I've been buying Balllitol (love it) and various brands of designated gun oil for years, but like all things gun-related, even cleaning supplies are now overpriced. I'm on a quest to maximize the money spent on the enjoyable part of the hobby - shooting, as opposed to the unenjoyable parts - like cleaning.

I don't have time to mix my own concoctions, currently clean with hot water, abandoned the need for bore butter and other excessively priced solutions years ago, and use a coating of oil to protect bores and chambers from rust. So, I'm no purist and not in need of ideas on that end. However, I'm looking to replace Ballistol and gun oil with bulk products to advance my quest - like 0W synthetic motor at $8 a quart as an example.

What bulk and readily available products do you use for cleaning and lubricating?
I used to use windex (now I just buy cheap ammonia) to get copper fouling out of modern guns.

For those of you using Rig grease for bore protection, what are you cleaning it out of the bore with ? I used it one time because my cousin suggested it but it was a bugger to remove so I could shoot that day. Barricade comes out with just an alcohol patch.
I just wipe it out with a patch on the rod. Then commence with your shooting. I have not had any problems. My bores all clean up excellent afterwards and are shiny like mirrors. Some have said that a petroleum product is not good in the bore, but I have had great success with RIG.
Sam Fadalla used to use it for greasing the cylinders of his percussion revolvers and a da patch lube. I just use it for preservative after I clean.

There are as many formulas as there are shooters. And shooters will stand by there there ways until the last trumpet.
Because of my Father and his teachings from the way back times, I have my own creed. What ever type of firearm, if it doesn’t smell at least faintly of Hoppe’s No. 9 you did it wrong! You did a half assed job, firearm not clean and you should feel ashamed of yourself! I will die on this hill!👍🤣👍

I don't bother to clean it out, I dump a load of BP down the barrel and a patch only to push it down to the breech, prime the pan and point down range and pull the trigger. Then load and shoot as usual.

I don't know if the first shot with no ball cleans/burns out the RIG or not but I have never had a klatch etc. using this method and have done it for years.

I do not think RIG is needed for short term storage as Ballistol works fine, my problem is I will get sidetracked with another project or something and even though I planned to take that gun to the range it ends up being sometimes a year or more before I shoot it again. I just always use RIG or a mix of RIG and Ballistol and that way I never have to worry about it.

I don't bother to clean it out, I dump a load of BP down the barrel and a patch only to push it down to the breech, prime the pan and point down range and pull the trigger. Then load and shoot as usual.

I don't know if the first shot with no ball cleans/burns out the RIG or not but I have never had a klatch etc. using this method and have done it for years.

I do not think RIG is needed for short term storage as Ballistol works fine, my problem is I will get sidetracked with another project or something and even though I planned to take that gun to the range it ends up being sometimes a year or more before I shoot it again. I just always use RIG or a mix of RIG and Ballistol and that way I never have to worry about it.
I have that same problem. I have good intentions of shooting but then life gets in the way and it's a year or so down the road before I shoot a certain gun again.

My take away from all this is there are many different opinions on this subject and most folks are pretty satisfied with whatever they are doing. Therefore it doesn’t make much difference, clean it and oil it, go back later and oil again.

Soa

I use soap (Dawn ) water, & follow up with CLEAN oil.. I like 10w40... never had a problem.. once in a while I snatch a dipper of raw crude to use on my hunting guns.. the smell of raw crude is familiar in the woods, Hoppe's isn't a normal woods smell... if I can smell your cleaned gun on opening day, deer will too...
Huuummm, from the land of Tidewater Oil, Wolfs Head, Quaker State, Pennzoil....

Are you being paid a commission?
Nope, I started using RIG back in the 70's.

At the time I was living in a house without air conditioning and the heat and humidity would rust a gun in a day no matter what oil you used, and if you handled one of them for any reason you had better just touch the wood or the next day your rusty finger prints would show up on the metal.

I had a gunsmith friend tell me about RIG and all those problems went away, I have never been without it since.

Back