• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drying Apples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Need some help. I want to dry some apples in my dehydrator and would like any suggestions for preparing and general "How to". Should I season them with sugar first? How will I know that they are ready to take out of the dehydrator etc.

Thanks ahead,
Rick

I slice the apples or cut them in wedges and then put them in a bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice...The high acid content of the lemon prevents the apples from turning brown...

Sometimes I lightly sugar and sprinkle with cinnamon....Too much sugar and they might stick to your trays.

Make sure you cut them in uniform size and shape so they all dry evenly.....I check for doneness by eating one....
When good and dry I place them in mason jars...or you can vacuum seal.

Note....if left out they will try to rehydrate themselves some due to the hydroscopic nature of the sugar on them and naturally in them.
I also peel my apples.

One more thing....I flip the apples after the first hour and a couple times after that.....to prevent sticking and to promote even drying.

Peel, core and cut crosswise into slices (rings) about 1/4 inch thick. Dip in lemon juice and arrange on the dehydrator racks. Dry until leathery and flexible (I don't dry until crispy/crunchy) - they won't feel "squishy" any more. If nothing else, pull them before they are completely dry and place in a brown paper bag to finish drying. Store in a paper bag.

X2 my grandparents did it that way for 40 plus years. But they strung them up by the wood stove.

We dry a lot of apples. We have a peeler, corer, slicer that works great. After slicing I take a screen out of the window and cover it with slices placed in the sun to dry. Our humidity here is around 10% at apple drying time. A few hours and done. zip lock bag and enjoy next winter. You can freeze in zip lock if you want, but don't need to. We don't mind if they brown a bit. Cooking browns the same and the flavor is the same.

I use a peeler/slicer/corer. Process the apple, break slices into flats ,soak in lemon juice and 1/2 water. [Keeps them from browning]

Put in the big dehydrator [Cabala's looked like a 1/2 fridge] we had and dry till they are not rubbery. Rubbery has moisture, then seal in a vacuum sealer. Still have 30+ pounds done 6 years ago, good as the day they were sealed.

I make pies and turnovers with them. Also have used them making venison mince meat for the same. [prefer these]

Friend called today saying apples will be ready in 2 weeks and trees are loaded. Work coming, but good eating this winter.

My mom used to slice them fine and dry them on top of our car on a sheet of tin. I don't remember how long, but do remember the procedure wasn't sanitary with flies and yellow jackets intruding. I'm not even sure what we used them for.

Along with pole beans strung on fishing line and dried on the rafters of the front porch (called "leather britches") most of the preserved foods we ate were canned.

Leather britches in a jar? Hmmmm. We ate them dried and they're not that great, but not awful. You put a slice of side meat about the size of your hand in a pot and boil them for a long time.

They're called "leather britches" for a reason. They're tough and need a long time in salty, greasy water to make them eatable. The last time I had them was in 1984.

Edit: as I recall, they were late season green beans after the tender and smaller green beans were harvested. But that's a 60 year old memory.

I tried drying green beans but they spoiled, even in dry Montana. Learned later that I must have run the thread through a "bean" rather than the hull. My Grandma dried them every year and I sure liked those leather britches.

I dry apple and pear slices on a screen, away from insects in a hot car with windows closed. Works quickly with no energy cost! I thought of this decades ago when I was a kid.

My Brother lives 1/2 way between Surry CH. and the ferry. He is the No 1 best hunter I have ever heard of (I am 2nd. best hunter but the first best shot :bull: ) with 6 WT in the Boon and Crocket and 2 or 3 in the Pope and Young. If you are a hunter he would be glad to meet and talk to you as would I.

That's cool! Surry CH is 13 miles from me! And my brother , also a great hunter, owns a small place in Surry! I'll send you a pm. Nice to run into someone local on here. I probably already know you!

Back