• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

drilling for barrel pins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11th corps

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have drilled through the stock and into the underlugs dovetailed in the bottom of my barrel. Question, should the hole in the underlug itself be larger then the pin, to allow for fore and aft movement? I took one of my T/C Hawken rifles apart and noted the large center mounted barrel pin (key?) is considerably smaller then the underlug it goes through. Smaller fore and aft not top to bottom? Thoughts?

Seems to me that if the barrel is properly bedded, there is no reason for the underlug hole to be larger than the pin. This would just allow undesired movement and wear. If the hole was drilled through the stock and lug at the same time, the alignment should be perfect. I would just put a very slight bevel on the end of the pin going in to guide it through.

You always leave clearance Fore & Aft of the pin hole in the underlug. This way the barrel lug is not stressed if the wood takes on or lets out moisture. If I am using a lug with no hole in it, I drill the main one thru, then I drill another one just like it in front & behind it & then file them to make one slot.

:thumbsup:

Keith Lisle

There should be at least 1/32 either way fore and aft from the center hole to prevent the stock from cracking during times when weather effects the wood.

Or what Birddog says. :thumbsup:

Swampy said:
There should be at least 1/32 either way fore and aft from the center hole to prevent the stock from cracking during times when weather effects the wood.
Or what Birddog says. :thumbsup:
+ one!

Definately make it a slot! My rifle was made for me by a friend. He did not slot the holes. After a few outings, I found that the gun always shot a good group, but every outing, the group had shifted. I pulled the barrel and saw that he did not slot the pin holes, so I did. Problem solved. The pin nearest the breech does not need as much of a slot as the others, but at least a little bit. The inlet in the stock for the barrel lug should also have clearance corresponding to the pin hole clearance, or only half the problem is solved.

As the others have said, the hole should be an elongated slot with the clearance fore and aft.

Do not try to go the easy way by simply drilling the hole oversize.
Doing this would make the hole loose up and down allowing the forestock to rattle.

There are a few old originals that have suffered complete separations in the fore stocks because the holes were not slotted and the wood shrank over the years. It is a good practice to do. Changes from swelling or shrinking can make changes in the guns POI, as I experienced.

Latest posts

Back