• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drill Bits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a problem not having a local supplier after retiring as a machinist/machine mechanic the only bits the local ace carries are hanson they are pretty good but they only carry 1/16"-1/2" so i order by the package every thing .050" to .250" in numbered, inch, and metric and maintain them in stock at all times the big mail order suppliers are great productivity ,or msc are both good

I have a few drill indexes (4 different sizes) that have been passed down to me and all I do is replace the drill bits that are beyond sharpening. I have a deluxe Drill Doctor and it does a GREAT job.

As mentioned, Cleveland and Chicago Latrobe are pretty decent.

Both available through Amazon, just to make it easy, especially if one has a prime account.

@robstock , get a 29-piece index and a full number set. When building longrifles you will use number drills, or wish you had them to use, more than any other sizes. Flash holes, barrel pins, trigger pins, preparing holes for tapping through the stock (tap clearance size), machine screw tap drill sizes, and so on will often need to be something other than what you have in the fractional set.

Quality of the drill bits are not as critical as the use of them, speed and feed has a greater effect on the accuracy of the hole being drilled and the life of the bit.

quoted just to reiterate the excellent point. Speed and feeds found on the interwebs or in any edition of The Machinists Handbook.

I was lucky. Inherited hundreds of bits from my father. Must be good quality. I have a Drill Doctor and occasionally have to sharpen. I have bought a few El Cheapos and can confirm they are 'El Junkos'.

Wondering what are recommendations for quality drill bits.
As Phil said, it's how you use them has a lot to do with it, and I would like to add another critical point. If you don't know how to sharpen them for goodness sakes buy a good sharpener. I can't believe how many bits I've seen wreck because they kept trying to drill with a dull bit and burnt it up. I was lucky I learned freehand drill bits sharpening in college 66 years ago and I've never forgotten how. Had a tough instructor. When you get down to the wire size I have quite a bit of problem but I don't use them much.
Squint

Both available through Amazon, just to make it easy, especially if one has a prime account.

@robstock , get a 29-piece index and a full number set. When building longrifles you will use number drills, or wish you had them to use, more than any other sizes. Flash holes, barrel pins, trigger pins, preparing holes for tapping through the stock (tap clearance size), machine screw tap drill sizes, and so on will often need to be something other than what you have in the fractional set.
Thanks for the advice. Amazon has a Chicago wire set on sale right now that is 1-60. They are 118 degree conventional point which brings my next question. Does the point make a difference?

Back