• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

drawing the line of what you like

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattybock

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I own only 3 muzzleloaders and I'll tolerate alot of stuff that is not historically accurate.
What can you not tolerate?
I hate modern shapes on reproduction guns, especially so with stocks. Seeing a 'kentucky' rifle with a 2.25" drop at the heel makes me cringe. Also, not a fan of case color hardening. I'm much happier with russetting/browning.

"Hawken" sights on a longrifle.

Carving that's inconsistent of curve and/or of different schools on the same rifle.

Unengraved patchboxes.

Fringe

Clean, pressed, and starched "period correct" clothing.

I don't care much for stark white powder horns, either. :idunno:

two piece stocks on "Kentucky" rifles. maple or birch stocks that won't stain without comin' out all splotchy and uneven. fiber optic sights and/or scopes on "traditional" muzzleloaders even worse when they drill a bunch of extra holes-usually right over the breech area. swivel studs/holes in the stock.

I rather despise the two piece stocks on the CVA kentucky rifle..but they do shoot good and braught many into the sport, I have also owned several, just don't like the whole two piece thing+. I REALLY hate scopes on traditional rifles...I'm not a huge fan of "cheap" plated brass. Not a big fan of conicals....can't think of nothing else... :grin:

It's not mine, it's no big deal. Folks who "dispise" another's gun? Really? Life is hard enough, people, without stressing out on what ain't ours.

I pretty much accept everything at face value. Though there are things and such that I prefer; I don't criticize any traditional ML. If it functions and shoots well that's all that matters. I'm strictly a prb man but if someone likes conicals, that's fine. Whatever blows your skirt up.

My preferences are: flintlock longrifles, prb and home made accoutrements.

I like to see traditional.but we all fall a little short. Right now I am reworking a my centermark tulle to make it a little closer to hc,But I can't make the barrel longer or change the wood to walnut. My southren style rifle sports a german style lock...live and learn. I think we should set our sights on 100% hc and be accepting of effort in that direction. One of my pet peevs is blue grass in camp.I want to here traditnol music.

I really don't care what you shoot or how you shoot it.

My rifles are mine because I like them, not because someone has "approved".

What I do find irritating is a fella dressed up in "new looking period garb", giving their best impression of 200 years ago with even PC stitching and they are picking apart another's rifle because this screw is out of line etc.

Yet, when you look at their rifle, which is rust browned, worn in the right places and has that 200 year old patina you have to wonder.

If you are supposedly re-enacting 200 years ago, wouldn't the gun look "NEW"???????

Back in the 1700's I can't see someone walking into Dickert's or Armstrong's gun shop and asking for a rifle that looked 200 years old.

(just my pet peeve)

mattybock said:
I own only 3 muzzleloaders and I'll tolerate alot of stuff that is not historically accurate.
What can you not tolerate?
I hate modern shapes on reproduction guns, especially so with stocks. Seeing a 'kentucky' rifle with a 2.25" drop at the heel makes me cringe. Also, not a fan of case color hardening. I'm much happier with russetting/browning.
I assume you are asking what people will tolerate, "for themselves", and not what others choose to do?

galamb said:
If you are supposedly re-enacting 200 years ago, wouldn't the gun look "NEW"???????

Back in the 1700's I can't see someone walking into Dickert's or Armstrong's gun shop and asking for a rifle that looked 200 years old.

The things most people never think of that are so obviously true!!! :hatsoff: Thanks for making me smile today! :grin:

I would not want a muzzleloader with a plastic stock or a modern scope.

necchi said:
What is "russetting" on a rifle?
some folks say it is the same as browning and others says it was originally something like a brown varnish....

half finished kit rifles that show flat spots around the stock area, a huge carved groove around the cheek piece that wasnt filed down to remove it. Sloppy finish in the clear and spotty staining.

A beautiful rifle at ronnyvoo with a $1200 price tag only to find its bore is rusted beyond repair. :nono:

On guns of any sort - modern or traditional, cheap or not - I have a thing about buggered up screw heads. To me it is a lack of respect. Rust is also in the same category. Use is ok, abuse is not.

The original line had something to do with leaking moccasins, wet powder, slippery mud and a six foot swimming lizard* but that was over three decades ago and since then that drawn line impressed upon me the need to keep the powder dry. Which begs the question if I learned my lesson how come that doe levitated up the canyon wall on the Pedernalis when my Tryon popped instead of boom?

*So OK, it also had to do with a Japanese Kentucky when I'd rathered a harpoon gun.

Latest posts

Back