• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

drawing the line of what you like

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And fat women with guns - scary to me - just like clowns ...[/quote]

Interesting! Clowns are scary to me also, or more accurately, I absolutely do not trust them. Don't others notice that clowns do act kinda "funny"?

I like most all guns unless they are pointed at me or someone they shouldn't be pointed at.

Last year I was invited to shoot with a MZ loading club. My New Englander recieved "at least its not an inline". I'm still looking for a local place to shoot.

Mooman76 said:
Just tired of dealing with stupidity I guess.

Amen...and the bad news is there's no end to it...no matter if some bad actors leave, a few others float to the top to take their place, LOL

The IOP has made it clear that he meant was, what people will tolerate, "for themselves", and not what others choose to do?

Please confine your posts to that and avoid complaining about what others may choose to do.

Thanks

mattybock said:
I own only 3 muzzleloaders and I'll tolerate alot of stuff that is not historically accurate.
What can you not tolerate?

I would like to say that I will tolerate anything. But I didn't for a while. Idaho went to PRB only in their rules. For that brief period of time in Idaho hunting history I did not participate or want to participate in an Idaho Muzzleloader hunt. I am so glad that rule is gone. Ron

Gun wise I can tolerate just about anything we're allowed to discuss on this forum. I'm not a HC/PC Snob, and never will be. I shoot black powder as much as I do (probably a lot more than others here since I do 3 Sundays a month) for the thrill of overcoming the obstacles associated with it and for the camaraderie.

HC/PC really doesn't play well with me, because as a NRA CRSO I'm more concerned with SAFETY. One of my pet peeves is pouring powder from a flask into a revolver's chambers, especially when loose powder spills all over the loading tables creating an UNSAFE CONDITION!

Dave

mattybock said:
I own only 3 muzzleloaders and I'll tolerate alot of stuff that is not historically accurate.
What can you not tolerate?
I hate modern shapes on reproduction guns, especially so with stocks. Seeing a 'kentucky' rifle with a 2.25" drop at the heel makes me cringe. Also, not a fan of case color hardening. I'm much happier with russetting/browning.

If 2.25" drop is something the makes you cringe then you apparently have a basic lack of understanding of actual traditional MLs and have not actually used one much. I mean an actual TRADITIONAL ML not something cranked out in a factory someplace.
That is one of my pet peeves. People not even understanding what a traditional ML is or how its SUPPOSED to look then stating they don't like a feature common to most traditional MLs.
Casehardening for example.
If you walked into the Hawken Shop in 1840 and bought a "mountain" rifle it would surely have casehardened in colors parts, the breech and lock trigger bar maybe the TG and BP. Why? Because this is the right way to finish them for durability and casehardened without colors is UGLY unless its then polished. In the 1770s the colors were generally (we think) polished off. But this fell from favor and the colors were left on in most cases by 1800 or so. Locks were not browned. So unless the gun has seen a lot of service brown is not traditional for locks andan even brown across the parts even less so. Barrels were browned or blued or left white.
But people look at a rifle like this one.
DSC03005-1.jpg

Then since they do not understand how it was made or how it looked when new they cannot make the leap to see it as new. Since the lock is somewhat corroded (caps of the time produced very aggressive fouling much like Pyrodex today) the metal finish gone and other metal parts have been rusted to some extent they think it was browned when new. The barrel may have been but the lockplate, trigger guard, buttplate and breech parts were surely case hardened. This from information on other Hawkens. Taking this one apart to see if there is color on the reverse of the lockplate is not something the Montana Historical Society would want since its original owner was Jim Bridger.
Color casehardening will fade pretty rapidly either from wear or exposure to the elements. sunlight for example. Many BL guns with such colors have them coated with an lacquer to help preserve them.
Finally what someone likes has nothing to do with what is historically correct. What people see as HC today, such as aged firearms, powder horns etc., is their erroneous PERCEPTION based on looking at 150-250 year old USED firearms. They get so involved with the "look" that they lose sight of what the firearm really WAS when it was new or in actual use. In their minds there is a fallacious image of what a Kentucky is supposed to look like in metal and wood finish. They get used to looking a Model 700 bolt action stocks and think a Hawken should have the same drop and pitch. This shows a fundamental lack of understanding of traditional arms.
This "aged gun" craze (its actually more of a cult) reminds me of some outlaws circa 1880-1900 (could have been the Wild Bunch don't recall the people) who were now back in the money after a "job" and they were going to get rid of their "shiney" (finish worn off) guns and get new ones that looked better. Today people rub the finish off to make the gun look used. Its wannabe stuff, they don't use the gun much but they "wanna" have it look old timey. So they take a rifle they would carry to a Rev-War era re-enactment and put age on it equal to 40-50 years of use so the gun now does not look like it would have in 1776 or 1780 it looks as it did after being in use for 60 years or more so the artificially (and generally inaccurately) aged item supposedly from 1770s now looks like it would have during the Mexican War of the 1840s. Perhaps after the original owners grandson had dragged it around because while he was allowed to hunt with it it was too heavy for him to carry at 8-10 years old. I once had a man born in the 1880s tell me of wearing a part of the stock away on the shotgun he was given to hunt with as a kid in this very manner. He said it was too heavy to carry and he would lay down to shoot it.

So modern traditional arms are intentionally damaged because someone "likes" it that way and thinks it looks cool even though it has little to do with how the gun looked during most of its service life. Given the number of Rev-war rifle converted to percussion (probably in the 1830s-40s) many of these guns, by now bored for shot, were in use for 100 years or more. How they look NOW has little to do with how they looked even after 10 years of service. But people can't or don't want to see them as they really were.

Dan

And all of God's people said "Amen!"

Dan, that was a direct strike on the head of that nail. Well said. :thumbsup:

co_elkeater said:
Last year I was invited to shoot with a MZ loading club. My New Englander recieved "at least its not an inline". I'm still looking for a local place to shoot.
I have a New Englander rifle and shotgun in my collection. I think they're right purty. :thumbsup:

....and why the "must haves", "didn't haves" and "never were(s)", eludes me to this day. Honestly, being offended by someone else's tastes!! The gun preferences of others have never affected me nor are they my concern. If you like browned barrels, painted stocks, etc; fine. Just don't get the old panties in a wad because another likes blued metal or different wood. :idunno:

Just noticed. Black Jack, my post is NOT directed at you, my friend. It was a general statement to no one in particular. Sorry for my inattention.

MAN., tell us how you REALLY feel... :grin: NAH,I enjoyed reading your comment Dan, lots of truth in it. Hey, I was looking at the powder horn that was in your photo above the Jim Bridger Hawken, I couldn't read what the writing said on it. Does it say what year the horn was found or made? I didn't see any yellowing on it so i guess it's not old.. :haha:

Hanshi,

I believe they are supposed to act "funny". If clowns had an endearing quality to them Stephen King certainly stripped that notion away!

Stumpkiller said:
2-1/4" drop at the heel is just starting to get shootable for offhand. Drop the bench and scopes instead. ;-)

Here are the dimensions I ordered on my fowler.

FowlerMeasurements.jpg

I would be sighting thru the ramrod channel with those measurments :rotf:

Guns? If your happy with yours I'm happy with yours.
"Fat" Women? I do not mind a woman with curves. If a lady cares about what she looks like and works at it a little she is a pretty woman.
Clowns? Hmmmm, never gave it any thought. MNew
hanshi said:
And fat women with guns - scary to me - just like clowns ...

Interesting! Clowns are scary to me also, or more accurately, I absolutely do not trust them. Don't others notice that clowns do act kinda "funny"?
[/quote]

Back