• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Douglas barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markdwhite15

Chopper
Reaction score
Have a rifle with a 40" Douglas barrel in .40 caliber. Haven't got to shoot much due to eye problems. Do these barrels like one load combination better than another?

Have a rifle with a 40" Douglas barrel in .40 caliber. Haven't got to shoot much due to eye problems. Do these barrels like one load combination better than another?
Sorry about that. What is the twist? I've got a Cherokee with a .40 Douglas with a slow round ball twist. Patched .390 ball over about 35 grains to 40 grains and she's a killer. Probably the most accurate ML rifle I've ever shot.

I second Mulebrain. I have 3 45 caliber Green Mountain barrels and each likes a slightly different load. The Douglas barrels I have had were very forgiving and usually shot well with a range of loads.

I have one rifle out of all them, and it's in .40

100yds off hand! .395, 20 patch, 40 fff

IMG_7960.JPG

My .40 had a Green Mountain barrel that was sweet with a .390" ball, .018 to .020"patch and 40 grains of 3F.

i have a rice barrel that likes 55gr. of 3f .18 patch. .395 ball, anything below 55gr. charge the groups start to open up, above 55gr. there is no change, but don't matter 55gr. and it is deadly accurate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My Douglas .40 barrel likes a .400 ball with 55-65 gr 3F and a blue pillow ticking patch. Usually lube with ballistol/water mix. It has a 1:48 twist

Thanks, My barrel is a 13/16 octagon straight with about 1 in 56 twist. A .390 ball and .13 lubed patch loads pretty hard. Tried 35 and 40 grains Goex fffg, not that great. Builder told me it was a Green Mountain barrel, but I always strip em down to clean and wax. It's stamped Douglas at the breech end. May try a larger charge and thinner patch.

I have an Ed Rayle, 42", 1 in 48",13/16", Jamestown Style. I use a .395 ball, spit patch, 15 to 18th pillow ticking or pocket drill, 40 grains 3FFF Goex. It is a tack driver!!!! I can go up to 60 grains for hunting or 100 yards target and use the exact same hold at 25 or 100 to 125Yards. 50 is still good with the 40 Grains. Dropped many a deer with it at different yardages and have yet to track one, they drop in their tracks after a well placed shot to the neck or shoulder. And it is a good looking rifle. Keep yer powder dry and stay in the hunt.

Back