• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy fellers... Just bought a really old double barrel 12 bore online. I haven't decided yet whether or not to restore it or leave it as she is. Should I decide to give it a face lift do any of you know who might be in the business of making a new stock for it? I looked at Pecatonica and a couple others but haven't found a maker of double stocks. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 12 bore.jpg
    12 bore.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 4
Is it usable as is? If so take it and have fun.
Haven't received it yet but the guy I bought it from said it is a good working gun and he has been using it for shooting and hunting. Has new nipples and he said the locks and triggers are smooth and tight. I am leaning toward giving it a good cleaning and keeping it original but you never know.

Is there a reason that it needs a new stock? You said the previous owner was shooting it.
I am hoping it doesn't as, in my opinion, original would be much better. But I bought it with only a few pictures and what I was told by a stranger to go on. The pictures aren't very detailed, and the guy seems to be a decent feller, but you don't know what is actually going to be in the box. Should it be cracked or in bad repair I'm just planning ahead in case a re-stocking is needed. I really hope it is not though. I learned last year when I bought a "new and unfired" CVA .36 online. Spent a while cleaning thick black fouling out of that unfired rifle before I could try it out. Turned out in the end to be a great little rifle I will be chasing squirrels with in a couple weeks but that experience taught me to have a backup plan just in case. I'm a bit remote right now so it will be Monday before I can get him a money order in the mail so they wait is already killing me...

If the stock is oil soaked, you need some chalk and alcohol. Make a past the consistency of toothpaste. Put it caked on all the oil soaked areas and let it dry, using a hair dryer with warm air helps it along., You remove the paste when it becomes discolored. You can repeat this several times to get the oil out. Small chips, cracks and missing pieces can all be repaired through a variety of techniques. Metal plates and various wraps were commonly used to repair or reinforce the grip area. I think you can use the stock you have with a little ingenuity.

Th
If the stock is oil soaked, you need some chalk and alcohol. Make a past the consistency of toothpaste. Put it caked on all the oil soaked areas and let it dry, using a hair dryer with warm air helps it along., You remove the paste when it becomes discolored. You can repeat this several times to get the oil out. Small chips, cracks and missing pieces can all be repaired through a variety of techniques. Metal plates and various wraps were commonly used to repair or reinforce the grip area. I think you can use the stock you have with a little ingenuity.
Thanks for that info. I really appreciate it and will give it a try. Can't wait to get after some quail with this old gun.

Back