• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Old Double Arrived Tuesday

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My old double 12 I purchased online showed up Tuesday morning. This is the one I started a thread about a couple weeks ago asking about who makes stocks for doubles. After looking her over I am thinking that it has just about the right look I was hoping for so, until I manage to break the stock, she is going to stay the same. Haven't shot it yet but, as soon as I have time, I will give her a good cleaning and try a little range time. I know most of you guys on here are probably alot better versed in this type of gun than I am. Been a rifleman for thirty years with the occasional shotgunning, but I'm nowhere near an expert. So if any of you folks might have an idea of the who and where in regards to this old shotgun I would appreciate any information someone might share. I am very excited about this thing and am already trying to figure out how to grab another old double 12 a guy has not too far from me. I already knew black powder was addictive but the thought of birds and rabbits with a classic shotgun feels like it might be addiction on steroids. Thanks in advance for any knowledge any of you may have about the origins of this piece.

For the Tennessee guys a little east of me, there was a low tide in Knoxville tonight...

Attachments

• WP_20221013_14_22_06_Pro.jpg
    WP_20221013_14_22_06_Pro.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • WP_20221013_14_22_11_Pro.jpg
    WP_20221013_14_22_11_Pro.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • WP_20221013_14_22_14_Pro.jpg
    WP_20221013_14_22_14_Pro.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • WP_20221013_14_22_24_Pro.jpg
    WP_20221013_14_22_24_Pro.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • WP_20221013_14_22_50_Pro.jpg
    WP_20221013_14_22_50_Pro.jpg
  • WP_20221013_14_23_41_Pro.jpg
    WP_20221013_14_23_41_Pro.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • WP_20221013_14_23_46_Pro.jpg
    WP_20221013_14_23_46_Pro.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • WP_20221013_14_23_53_Pro.jpg
    WP_20221013_14_23_53_Pro.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • WP_20221013_14_23_56_Pro.jpg
    WP_20221013_14_23_56_Pro.jpg
  • WP_20221013_15_25_05_Pro.jpg
    WP_20221013_15_25_05_Pro.jpg
    994.7 KB · Views: 0
Making a replacement stock for doubles is a real chalange since you have to remove so much of the wood to get both locks fit. I have a cracked stock on one of mine that I glued to repair about twenty years ago and it has held up so far.

I'm another firm believer in fixing gun boo-boos rather than replacing the part if at all possible. If it's original to start with any replacement of major parts makes it NOT fully original.

On the other hand there is gun fit. If that stock does not fit you then you will always have some struggle shooting flying. So ..... a fully original gun that is uncomfortable? Or a restocked gun that feels like part of you?
Finding a stocker who can do this for you is not a simple thing. Used to be some good ones advertising in the Double Gun Journal, but I have not seen that publication in a good while.
There are a bunch of old guys at the gun club who modify their stocks with glued on wood, big patches of moleskin, butt plates and Lord knows what else. They break clays with monotonous regularity.

On the other hand there is gun fit. If that stock does not fit you then you will always have some struggle shooting flying. So ..... a fully original gun that is uncomfortable? Or a restocked gun that feels like part of you?
Finding a stocker who can do this for you is not a simple thing. Used to be some good ones advertising in the Double Gun Journal, but I have not seen that publication in a good while.
There are a bunch of old guys at the gun club who modify their stocks with glued on wood, big patches of moleskin, butt plates and Lord knows what else. They break clays with monotonous regularity.
I haven't shot it yet but, while playing with it, this thing shoulders like it was made for me and getting on the bead is very quick. Yep, leaving her as she is. Would hate to ruin that old gun patina if I didn't have to.

Tim first off congratulations on the SxS. I tell you this the first step to go down a rabbit hole. Several years ago, after I retired and had time I purchased a shootable original English 12ga double. I would recommend reading a little book by V.M.Starr title The muzzleloading shotgun it's care and use. A lot of very good information on Proof marks ETC as well as loads. My gun as yours fits me perfect and I can hit everything that I desire if I do my part. I keep the loads light at 1oz or 1 1/8. I use 1F BP powder in it because it creates less pressure. (Square loads) and enjoy it very much. I now decided I'd like to kill a turkey with a ML shotgun and don't want to load 170-year-old gun heavy (Twist steel barrel). So I purchased a CVA kit 12ga SxS produced in the 1980's and have finished it. The stock dimensions are terrible Comb is to high and LOP off. Kicks your face badly and shoots high. 2 weeks ago, picked up another Original 13ga. that needs a little TLC at a locale shop for $135 will have it shooting soon. And stock fits me perfect on it...That rabbit hole thing...Trans yank

Your gun looks exactly like an original Belgian double I have. Mine is marked a 16 gauge but actually measures out to a 15 gauge. Before you order any loading components make sure to measure your bore. Your 12 might actually be an 11 or 13 gauge. Don’t trust the advertised gauge. Mine was advertised on gunbroker as a 12 gauge. I just use thin overshot cards in my loads. Cheap and effective.

Pull the barrel and show us pics of the markings underneath.

Back