• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Don't Carve That Stock!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I unfortunately am one who will have to pay to have it done. I can't draw a straight line with a straight edge helper. And I can make a three legged table wobble.
I hear you, I enjoy building but suck at it. My inlets are never as tight as originals.
We all know the guy with talent, and we oh and ah, and we know the talented amateurs that make us shake our heads with wonder.
We forget that originals were made by guys who apprenticed at twelve and spent their teen years learning their craft.
Few of us can ever achieve that.
So I put on my duds that looked like it was sewn by a 12 year old and carry a gun that matches.
Practice makes perfect, but few of us have the chance to achieve it.

As my late buddy Mike B -who was a classic car guy-often said
Chrome don't get you home.
If you like carved gun stocks, have at it.
Just don't expect it to kill a deer any easier, or be the cause of a one inch group at 100 yards.
An interesting carved stock helps you wait more patiently for the deer. Even if it is a single straight line on the cheek piece.

As my late buddy Mike B -who was a classic car guy-often said
Chrome don't get you home.
If you like carved gun stocks, have at it.
Just don't expect it to kill a deer any easier, or be the cause of a one inch group at 100 yards.

My Harley riding buddy says Chrome don't get you home but sure looks good sitting by the road.

I personally don't care for carving on a gun, I can appreciate the skill and time it takes, but it just isn't my cup of tea.

I do like a simple line or two carved,on buttstock,and or forestock

Last edited:
It appears to me that those who can't carve or can't afford to have one made with carving don't like carving. But on the other hand, those that can carve or can afford to have a gun carved like carving. Funny how that works.
I think there is some truth to your statement. But I don't want carving on my Hawkin, Lyman, or J. Henry rifle. I like the simple lines I carved into my SMR. And I would definitely like carving in my Woodsrunner and Colonial. But, I don't feel comfortable carving them and I am too cheap to send them off to someone that actually could carve them.

It appears to me that those who can't carve or can't afford to have one made with carving don't like carving. But on the other hand, those that can carve or can afford to have a gun carved like carving. Funny how that works. ;)
That line of thinking is true for many things. Not just for carving and muzzleloaders.

In order of importance to the integrity of the gun it tends to follow the order in which the gun is made;
1.) Barrel integrity and breeching
2.) Lock quality
3.) barrel inletting and lock / trigger fit / function
4.) Stock architecture
5.) Decorations
6.) Finish

But when examining a gun we tend to SEE things in reverse order. If anything is out of whack, we don't get much past it. It's best for new builders to get #'s 3 & 4 down pat before thinking about #5.

Carving and engraving aren't so much about the designs themselves (though that is important) as they are about maintaining the spacial relationships within the gun. Think "balance" in the design. Many things may be an odd shape or design, but if the spacial relationships are respected (2/5 for example throughout the gun) they still look pleasing and proportionate to the eye. That is; take a "big picture" approach first--how much space does the design take up within the available space, before proceeding to the design itself.

Next is the design. In many if not most of our period reproductions, the designs are renditions of lines found in nature. So study what an unfurling vine or tendril looks like. Most of the time the shapes are evolving along their lines. The curve radius is loosening or tightening as you move along the design. Flat spots and elbows generally don't exist in nature.

Lastly is execution. Spend a TON of time in drawing the design (and erasing it) on the stock before picking up the chisels. I like to draw, erase, re-draw, and walk away for a while before coming back to it. It often means turning the gun at many angles to look at it (sideways, upside down etc). what looks like a smooth curve from one angle can reveal a flat spot from another. Usually that means more erasing and re-drawing and walking away again as many times as it takes before I'm happy that I just can't improve on it.

When actually carving the design your "world" is going to consist of that tiny 1" x 1" square you're working on as long as you're working on it. Go slow. Small tools make small mistakes that can be corrected. Big tools make big mistakes that often can not. Then you'll move on to another 1" x 1" "world" over and over again until you're done with that area (tang carving for instance). Then move on to another (entry pipe area for instance). You'll come back to the former area several more times before you're really done with the gun. Of course, sharp tools are a must.

Another good tool is your phone and the computer. A picture of a 1" x 1" area on your phone will look a LOT different when blown up to full screen size on the computer. You'll be amazed at how many flaws you see in what you thought was done perfectly.

Last edited:
It appears to me that those who can't carve or can't afford to have one made with carving don't like carving. But on the other hand, those that can carve or can afford to have a gun carved like carving. Funny how that works. ;)
Seems I recall a story about a fox who couldn’t get grapes on the vine behind a fence. Then decided they were sour anyway
Greek guy told the story, near as old as the Bible
I love carving but can’t do it my self or afford it.
Took a go fund me page out, no doners yet😂

I love the look of a well carved rifle and hate the way one looks that has had a hack job carve it. I carved a lot of ducks and am sure I could learn to cave a rifle but at 75 I have no interest in learning. I could afford to pay an expert to have it done but then I would be afraid to tote the resulting work of art through the rough places that I hunt. Bottom line; I beat my rifles up using them, a plain rifle is better for me.

I read an article back in the mid to late 1980's in Muzzle Blast that the perfect muzzleloader was not built until the 20th century. If people want to carve on their guns, let them, even if they want to do a Jed Clampett whittle job. There is a lot of masters out there that can produce a magnificent piece, and they get paid well for it. Then there is the one's that can turn $1000.00 worth of parts into a $500.00 gun. My carving is fair, and I am still learning. So to each his own judgement on what you really want. Attached is pictures of the latest.

Attachments

• 20230903_110007.jpg
    20230903_110007.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230905_075828.jpg
    20230905_075828.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230909_052324.jpg
    20230909_052324.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230909_052331.jpg
    20230909_052331.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I read an article back in the mid to late 1980's in Muzzle Blast that the perfect muzzleloader was not built until the 20th century. If people want to carve on their guns, let them, even if they want to do a Jed Clampett whittle job. There is a lot of masters out there that can produce a magnificent piece, and they get paid well for it. Then there is the one's that can turn $1000.00 worth of parts into a $500.00 gun. My carving is fair, and I am still learning. So to each his own judgement on what you really want. Attached is pictures of the latest.
Very nice carving.
You said that that those people that “produce magnificent pieces get paid well”. I would like to know of ONE of the Masters who agrees with that.

I, like Eric, carve decoys, shorebirds, and fish so working with chisels and knives is familiar. But I solved my rifle carving dilemma by building rifles that historically weren't carved like southern mountain rifles. My only carving attempts have been incised lines on a cheekpiece of a J. Henry copy and a finial and beavertails on a NW trade gun. That may change but I can't promise it since I'm turning 80 in 3 months.

I have a couple friends who have had jud make them fully carved guns in the $4500 range. That's cheap for that level of work.
That is cheap for a Jud Brennan gun. Seen one of his on the Liveauctioneers sight back in June of 2021 sell for $12,500. I have never handled any of his or the House brothers guns. Have handled some of Priddy's and Miller's guns. Even handled a fowler of yours Mike. A big :thumb: to all the master builders for producing works of art...

Back