• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Don't avoid new Uberti sixguns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Crow Choker, you aren't the only one. I also came to like Uberti's reddish finish after seeing two early original Colt SAA's that had that same finish. As a matter of fact, I got to handle a 1887 SAA that was unfired. I only mention those guns in reference to grip color. Anyway, glad to see you posting on this site. You and I have conversed before on other sites where I post under the name Navy Six.

I thought that name sounded familiar and you were Navy Six. Bought a Wolfe mainspring from ya back in spring of 2015 for an early made NIB or shoot few times Navy Arms '61 Navy that had an overly strong mainspring. Navy 36 still running great. Glad to see you on this forum as well.

I am starting to age my new Uberti 1851 navy. I used citristrip and used kibler bone black and danish oil. Still need to age the brass and frame. But I like it and it shoots well. First 12 shot did fine @ 20 yards.

Attachments

• 20230730_154716.jpg
    20230730_154716.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230718_124231.jpg
    20230718_124231.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230806_164949.jpg
    20230806_164949.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Some discussion in another thread about avoiding new Uberti sixguns for some reason. I've bought 20 Uberti and Pietta guns over the last two years and 52 in total. I'm here to tell you both manufacturers have their act together. Today I received #20. This time a full flute 1860. It may just be the nicest of the bunch. The case colors have me wondering why anybody still buys 2nd/3rd generation Colt's and two or three times the price. The walnut has some life in it, I'll probably strip the wood and refinish.

IMG_2871b.jpg
The

IMG_2873b.jpg

IMG_2872b.jpg

IMG_2874b.jpg
The Uberti Case Color is nothing like real case color, the Colt 2nd gen colors are much closer to the original Colts. I love good case colors but I don’t care for the really vivid stuff that Uberti is using but otherwise I agree. Uberti is a much better copy of the originals…

and… having said all that, damn! That’s a purty pistol!

Last edited:
No Crow Choker, you aren't the only one. I also came to like Uberti's reddish finish after seeing two early original Colt SAA's that had that same finish. As a matter of fact, I got to handle a 1887 SAA that was unfired. I only mention those guns in reference to grip color. Anyway, glad to see you posting on this site. You and I have conversed before on other sites where I post under the name Navy Six.
I also am a fan of red high light stain finish over plain walnut brown and usually finish my long gun stocks with Winchester Red stain and filler,, varethane sealer and True oil top coat rubbed out.
My preference is a some what toned down version of the red high lights that Pietta and Uberti use though.
I also am a fan of Moose antler stag pistol grips as well for a custom touch on occasion to break up the monotony of wood grips on everything !

Last edited:
Some discussion in another thread about avoiding new Uberti sixguns for some reason. I've bought 20 Uberti and Pietta guns over the last two years and 52 in total. I'm here to tell you both manufacturers have their act together. Today I received #20. This time a full flute 1860. It may just be the nicest of the bunch. The case colors have me wondering why anybody still buys 2nd/3rd generation Colt's and two or three times the price. The walnut has some life in it, I'll probably strip the wood and refinish.

IMG_2871b.jpg

IMG_2873b.jpg

IMG_2872b.jpg

IMG_2874b.jpg
I'm amazed with the extent of your accumulating! You certainly should know of what you speak! Much of the squawking one reads about "Berti's are junk, Pedi's are trash", blah, blah, is just likely uneducated blathering. I would believe that there was a decline in QC during the global shut-down, (wait 'til the next one!) but it's good see of your experience. Good luck! We're fortunate that any company is making this stuff in the first place! The guys who tweak and 'smith these neat holdovers from the 19th Century do us all a great service.

I also am a fan of red high light stain finish over plain walnut brown and usually finish my long gun stocks with Winchester Red stain and filler,, varethane sealer and True oil top coat rubbed out.
My preference is a some what toned down version of the red high lights that Pietta and Uberti use though.
I also am a fan of Moose antler stag pistol grips as well for a custom touch on occasion to break up the monotony of wood grips on everything !
I like using dye to color wood. The grain remains visible.

One of my favorite dye's/tints is one I bought way back in 1969 from the old Herter business out of Waseca, Minn. Called French Red. It is both a pore sealer and tint giving walnut a nice dark reddish hue that many said does or was to mimic pre-64 Winchester rifles/shotguns. Refinished several walnut gun stocks with it until the small can was gone. Maybe five years ago I bought another larger can from Brownells who I guess has the rights to it (along with Belgium Bluing that I've had great success with). I've never used it on maple or any other wood (might try some test piece someday). This thread has me thinking maybe I'll strip a Uberti sixgun and try it on the walnut stocks. See how it compares with the factory finish.

Last edited:
One of my favorite dye's/tints is one I bought way back in 1969 from the old Herter business out of Waseca, Minn. Called Red French Liquid. It is both a pore sealer and tint giving walnut a nice dark reddish hue that many said does or was to mimic pre-70 Winchester rifles/shotguns. Refinished several walnut gun stocks with it until the small can was gone. Maybe five years ago I bought another larger can from Brownells who I guess has the rights to it (along with Belgium Bluing that I've had great success with). I've never used it on maple or any other wood (might try some test piece someday). This thread has me thinking maybe I'll strip a Uberti sixgun and try it on the walnut stocks. See how it compares with the factory finish.
It does great things for maple stocks. I use the same stain filler from Brownells.

I am starting to age my new Uberti 1851 navy. I used citristrip and used kibler bone black and danish oil. Still need to age the brass and frame. But I like it and it shoots well. First 12 shot did fine @ 20 yards.
Here are some shots of the bone case colors I do on two separate Rolling Block actions. The glass bead finish on the steel before the heat treat is what knocks down some of the gawdy-ness of the color to the more subdued look of the original case color. Had I left it a high polish finish the colors would be so gawdy it would look like an electric guitar made in Juarez Mexico !
Also the texturing of the steel surface by sand and then glass beads make the case deeper and stay on better in my opinion. 😄

Attachments

• P1010205.JPG
    P1010205.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • P1010207.JPG
    P1010207.JPG
  • P1010208.JPG
    P1010208.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • P1010211.JPG
    P1010211.JPG
  • P1010231.JPG
    P1010231.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here are some shots of the bone case colors I do on two separate Rolling Block actions. The glass bead finish on the steel before the heat treat is what knocks down some of the gawdy-ness of the color to the more subdued look of the original case color. Had I left it a high polish finish the colors would be so gawdy it would look like an electric guitar made in Juarez Mexico !
Also the texturing of the steel surface by sand and then glass beads make the case deeper and stay on better in my opinion. 😄
Nice muted case colors. Looks close to some of the old original finishes I enjoy seeing.

The Uberti looks very nice and I own quite a few of them.

But, Colt’s Second Generation “F” Series percussion revolvers are the most beautifully finished revolvers I have seen. Metal to metal fit is perfect. Case color and blue is perfect as well.

Just inherited both a Uberti Fluted 1860 and 61 police made circa 2000 and NOS. Both are best looking in my book. Early Uberti 1858s are also very nice (and prolly stronger) but lack the classic appeal factor of the fluted Colts. Did see a 2021 made Uberti 1858 and was not pleased due to less than acceptable fit finish and wood choice. Latter also did not sound right when cocked or cycled.

[QUOTE="vintovka, post: 2406166, member: Early Uberti 1858s are also very nice (and prolly stronger)
[/QUOTE]

Than what?

Mike

Here are some shots of the bone case colors I do on two separate Rolling Block actions.
That's beautiful work! I could look at case colors all day. That's one of the attractions to hunting with my 1860 Uberti, I have something to look at. Gives the deer a chance to get the drop on me.

oh-oh, now you did it!
He just had to open that door, didn't he? Must be new here....

Back