• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does 3FG work better than 2FG in patent breech ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Shooting my Traditions Kentucky rifle (50 caliber) in humid conditions, I have to clean out the small hole in the patent breech about every 5 or 6 shots or else the powder will bridge over the hole and not reach the touch hole thus, not get ignited resulting in a pan flash. I'm using Goex 2FG and wondered if I used finer 3FG if it would reduce or eliminate the issue. My last powder purchase was five pounds of 2FG and I'm having second thought whether I should have gone with 3FG.

I use 3f Swiss in a Investarms with a patent breech. No problems. First, 3f generally has less fouling than 2f and that is helped by using Swiss which has the least fouling of about any commercially available black powder.

I have used 3F and 2F in my Pedersoli Pennsylvania that has a patent/chambered breech. 2F shot fine, and I think is marginally more accurate. I prime with 3F.

The 3fg, being finer grain sized, will flow into the Pedersoli chambered breech better than 2fg.

Both will work as long as @kyron4 uses a loading procedure that eliminates the bridging at the mouth of the chambered breech. I am guessing that kron4's rifle is being shot at a range since he is shooting more than 5 or 6 shots. At that time he knows that the chambered breech needs to be cleaned. If he is wiping between shots to keep the fouling in the bore consistent from shot to shot, then every 3rd shot should include a wipe of the chambered breech. Then the fouling from the 2f will not be bridging the chamber mouth. Nothing wrong with using 2fg powder, just learn how to improve your procedure to gain the best results from the use of that powder.

Should not be an issue, so maybe something else is going on. Sounds like you are talking about flintlock. First, be sure to dry swab the bore before shooting to remove any oil from the bore. If you swab between shots (or when you do swab), do not "pump" the ramrod. Use a damp patch and push it to the breech and allow it to rest a few seconds. Then pull the patch out, flip it over and do it again. Follow that with a dry patch. What kind of lube are you using? If too wet, you can create goopy conditions in the bore. Also to help eliminate flash in the pan, load with your vent pick in place and then remove the pick after loading.

I shoot a Flintlock Lyman GPR with 2fg Old E. I dont ever clean out the patent breech on mine while I am shooting at the range. The gun functions flawlessly. If you are swabbing out every few shots get a jag that doesnt push fouling into that breech.

My boys rifle has a patent breech and when swabbing we have to keep the swabing patch about an inch from the bottom to prevent the fouling from pluging the flash channel

I shoot a Flintlock Lyman GPR with 2fg Old E. I dont ever clean out the patent breech on mine while I am shooting at the range. The gun functions flawlessly. If you are swabbing out every few shots get a jag that doesnt push fouling into that breech.
I imagine the humidity levels in Colorado are much less than here in Indiana. I didn't have an issue shooting in late winter with 20%-30% humidity , but now with levels between 60%-80% it has cause problems.

I only swab the bore when loading gets tight, but I now realize I've been doing wrong so I need to change my method a little. Anyone swab after the ball is seated ?

My Lyman GPR 54 flintlock has a patent* breach. I use Olde Eynsford 2Fg BP and GOEX 4Fg to prime.
I slowly pour in my powder charge holding the rifle as vertical as possible so the bulk of the powder falls straight down into the patent* breach. I raise the rifle butt off the ground slightly and thump in down, this settles the powder. Maybe even knocks some new powder that maybe clinging to the previous shots fouling down.
I use a tight fitting.435” ball and thick cotton patching that’s been well lubed plus a home lubed (mink oil) over powder felt wad.
When the tight fitting PRB is rammed down, the bore is being wiped.
The previous shots fouling is getting pushed down onto the fresh powder charge.
No extra damp swabbing after loading is required.
I think the tight fitting PRB is the key to wiping upon loading.
My PRB exhibits the patch weave mark embossed light and heavy into the lead all the way around the ball By the lands & groove.

Will I clean the patent* breach I use a 36 cal bronze brush maybe the hole bigger in my rifle.
*According to the photo in post #17 of various the breech plug designs.
I should be calling the breech plug in my GPR a “chambered breech”.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 150969-patent-breech.jpg
    150969-patent-breech.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 0
Something that will help with any muzzleloader, is to lightly bump the stock on the ground a few times after putting in the powder, to settle it in the breech.

This seems to help with reliability on my Pedersoli Trade Gun. I have only used 2f for the main charge set off with 4f so far but am thinking of trying a 3f main charge.

Back