• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you think black powder will become scarce?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only current reason I see today that will cause blackpowder to become scarce is the ever diminishing demand for sporting blackpowder used in muzzleloaders. LGS carries Goex but doesn’t sell 25 pounds a year. Says demand that used to be there just isn’t there today. Sales of pellets and subs are up. If there is no market is it reasonable to expect local shops to carry blackpowder? Many of those complaining buy online. Those that want to buy locally to avoid Hazmat charges only want a pound every so often, while those using many pounds a year rely on the online suppliers. If local shops had customers could make money on blackpowder sales it would be available in their shops. We have met the enemy and he is us.

1594000915840.jpeg

Take a kid shooting. Introduce someone to muzzleloading. Don’t belittle or complain about the guy shooting an in-line. They are closer to a potential traditional muzzleloader shooter than most anyone else you will meet.

Make no mistake. The threat is real. Every aspect of firearms ownership ( and weapons in general ) has been under constant attack for decades. It is a concerted, continuous effort taken in steps. One small bite, one reasonable control measure and then another and another. Each one barely noticeable or objected to but in retrospect the cumulative effect is huge. Compare where we are today to the 60's.

We must fight hard to preserve what we have and undo the damage that has already been done.
like chickens pecking us to death

I watched the UPS guy walking up to my door with a box of BP. He looked like he was carrying loose vials of Nitro. I've never seen a delivery guy set down a parcel with more care. He practically floated it to the porch. One of the funniest things I've seen in years His eyes were big and focused, and he wouldn't have squashed a butterfly with that box. Ran back to the truck and took off extra fast.
lol
Yes, no, not really, not the same, not applicable, not a barrier, not relevant. There are a lot of ingredients in that pie. A lot of yabuts and depends.

Both powders are manufactured by Goex, and the title of the topic is,
"Do you think black powder will become scarce?"
It already is, im not shooting fireworks out of my smoke pole

The only current reason I see today that will cause blackpowder to become scarce is the ever diminishing demand for sporting blackpowder used in muzzleloaders. LGS carries Goex but doesn’t sell 25 pounds a year. Says demand that used to be there just isn’t there today. Sales of pellets and subs are up. If there is no market is it reasonable to expect local shops to carry blackpowder? Many of those complaining buy online. Those that want to buy locally to avoid Hazmat charges only want a pound every so often, while those using many pounds a year rely on the online suppliers. If local shops had customers could make money on blackpowder sales it would be available in their shops. We have met the enemy and he is us.

View attachment 36065

Take a kid shooting. Introduce someone to muzzleloading. Don’t belittle or complain about the guy shooting an in-line. They are closer to a potential traditional muzzleloader shooter than most anyone else you will meet.
Well said, but folks like idaholewis and others are proving that the use of true black has benefits that need to be looked into. Just because something is easier to clean, load etc. does not come without cons

The BP supply was threatened directly immediately after the Tsarnaev brothers set off their device at the Boston Marathon. Lautenberg and the usual suspects immediately tried to pass restrictions. I don’t think they went anywhere, but to pretend there is no threat when those vultures circle the act of every mad man is unrealistic.

I am in Australi.
You cant buy BP online and in the State Capitol city (3 days drive from my place) there is a single store that carries it. The one importer is looking to stop again. I was able to buy 1 tin of ffg and 1 tin of ffffg. That was all they had.
I think BP is already scarce!

Same in my state. I've done it. Twenty-five pounds of Goex and a UPS man that cared not a whit about the haz labels on the box.
My nephew drives for UPS and there is nothing done different from a Haz-Mat shipping box to a regular box, nothing , not even a special shelf or explosion container on the trucks. The fee is just another way to screw hunters and shooters.

My nephew drives for UPS and there is nothing done different from a Haz-Mat shipping box to a regular box, nothing , not even a special shelf or explosion container on the trucks. The fee is just another way to screw hunters and shooters.

Actually it is just another way of strangling the shooting sports in general in the U.S.

I still maintain that any scarcity will be driven by sales volume! Younger people (those under the age of 50, let's say) are not that interested in BP shooting. Heck, they are becoming less interested in HUNTING, even. Sales of Michigan deer licenses has dropped by 20% in the last several years! I've noticed a shocking decrease in the number of gunshots I hear on Opening Day morning for the last 2 seasons. November 2019 was almost silent....that's downright spooky. You know what else younger people are losing interest in? Fishing! (again, the number of fishing licenses sold in Michigan is falling) Golf! (it's slowly fading away, and golf courses are being sold to developers for housing tracts). A friend of mine who likes to sail told me that there is a glut of sailboats for sale because younger people aren't interested. They like jet skis! Enjoy your flintlocks while you can, gentlemen!

Sounds like a Gov't set fee to me.

If it was set by the sellers or carriers, the price would be different for each one of them would it not?

If it was set by the sellers, some would not charge the fee to sell more powder.

Back to economics, supply and demand.

If it was set by the sellers or carriers, the price would be different for each one of them would it not?

It is,
I've seen prices range fro $9 to $35 and some sellers just include it in the price so you don't see it at all. Most charge around $25. The same goes for shipping charges.

Well said, but folks like idaholewis and others are proving that the use of true black has benefits that need to be looked into. Just because something is easier to clean, load etc. does not come without cons
Benefits of using blackpowder over subs in muzzleloaders has little if anything to due with future scarcity. Believe it comes down to the scarcity of new users and the demand they would create.

if you are concerned about scarcity of sporting blackpowder in the future in general, bring more shooters into the game. If you are concerned about your personal supply, stock up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back