• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you think black powder will become scarce?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say the biggest single threat to the gunpowder supply would be a plant explosion. That's how pyrodex came into existence, as a result of the shortage from the Goex plant that blew up in 1973. There is only one domestic manufacturer of black powder.

FA is fireworks and blasting powder.

Yep, that's right.
Fireworks sales increase from 300.3 million in 1999 to 1 billion in 2019.
Take away black powder and you take away fireworks. Good luck with that.

Yep, that's right.
Fireworks sales increase from 300.3 million in 1999 to 1 billion in 2019.
Take away black powder and you take away fireworks. Good luck with that.
Except one needs an explosives licence and insurance to purchase said fireworks. I don't want my favorite hobby to be in the same category.

Except one needs an explosives licence and insurance to purchase said fireworks. I don't want my favorite hobby to be in the same category.

Yes, no, not really, not the same, not applicable, not a barrier, not relevant. There are a lot of ingredients in that pie. A lot of yabuts and depends.

Both powders are manufactured by Goex, and the title of the topic is,
"Do you think black powder will become scarce?"

headache.jpg

I buy all my black powder through the club I'm a member of which charges me cost. In thirty-five years I haven't had any difficulty with resupply. I therefore conclude that as long as there are powder mills, the hobby will be doing fine.

Shouldve met the UPS. Guy at the door, grabbed the box and tossed it into the house. That wouldve really got the guy going.

I buy all my black powder through the club I'm a member of which charges me cost. In thirty-five years I haven't had any difficulty with resupply. I therefore conclude that as long as there are powder mills, the hobby will be doing fine.

I agree, and it is interesting to note, that in 1775 when the British banned importation of powder to the colonies, dozens of small powder mills sprang up across the countryside.

I agree, and it is interesting to note, that in 1775 when the British banned importation of powder to the colonies, dozens of small powder mills sprang up across the countryside.
....and then there was smuggling too. ;)

Is there a bill currently before con-gress to ban black gunpowder RIGHT NOW? Not that I am aware of. Will there be one in the future? Most definitely. The "threat"? It should be painfully clear. Of course, to point out those threats means... politics.

My whole life I've been told by an endless stream of Pollyannas how everything has been good so far, there's no way anything bad could happen, etc. All the while I have watched America crumble (and if you don't think it's crumbling, then you really are part of the problem) right before my eyes.

There's not a big movement to ban black gunpowder specifically right this instant... but give it a year or two.... after some more "politics" happen.

Is there a bill currently before con-gress to ban black gunpowder RIGHT NOW? Not that I am aware of. Will there be one in the future? Most definitely. The "threat"? It should be painfully clear. Of course, to point out those threats means... politics.

What you describe doesn't qualify as a "threat" then. It is just a fear, and by my reasoning an irrational fear at that.
Paranoia involves intense anxious or fearful feelings and thoughts often related to persecution, threat, or conspiracy.

Considering the last real "threat" was in 1775, I'm not going to get too excited until I see the whites of their eyes..

egad. Your "reasoning" is what is irrational.

My whole life I've been told by an endless stream of Pollyannas how everything has been good so far, there's no way anything bad could happen, etc. All the while I have watched America crumble (and if you don't think it's crumbling, then you really are part of the problem) right before my eyes.

No, I'm not "irrational" i'm just being practical.
Things aren't "crumbling" they are just changing and we are getting older. Change is hard for older people.

Things aren't "crumbling" they are just changing and we are getting older. Change is hard for older people.

Burying one's head in the sand does two things, 1 it makes it easier to get kicked in the arse. And 2. When you do get kicked in the arse, you won't see it coming.

Change is inevitable. It is the only constant in the universe. Sometimes change is good and I don't have a problem with that. Sometimes change is bad. Getting older means I have history and I remember how things used to be - before the change. When things were more... rational. A bad change ( and we've experience many recently ) makes me cautious, skeptical and displeased with the present.

The first level of defense is the ability to recognize a threat, whether it be viral, predatory or political. And as Louis Pasteur once said, "Fortune favors the prepared mind."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back