• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you gut your deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Karen,

Not at all simple, just accustomed to a routine occurrence around these parts. Guess you missed the part where I stated what the GW did stopping by our gutting party one evening. Surely glad I don't live where irrational fears dictate the life we live.

If you weren't putting me or my sons down, then maybe go back and word your post differently, or delete it. You alluded as much, and that is what it is.

You have a nice day too....Karen.
No sir I did not elude to anything, you simply assume iit. And before I even read this post I had already went back and edited it. But now I wished I hadn’t because I was correct the first time. You went on the attack right off the bat like a simple minded person does by name calling.

I didn’t miss anything, thus my rationale on posting “in this area”.

A routine occurrence on your parts does not constitute every location, as I clearly explained. I do not know how much clearer I can get on this. If you cannot understand this, then you are indeed simple minded.

Everybody to their own thang.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
gut immediately and I load the empty cavity with ice bags until it has cooled down. Once it has cooled it hangs for 4 days before I butcher it out.
I used to take it to the meat processer but by the time the butcher gets his cut I spend more than beef prices on the finished product and they never give me the bones. I want all the bones. That is a lot of bone broth to just throw away.
I want that meat in good condition, so I do it myself.

No sir I did not elude to anything, you simply assume iit. And before I even read this post I had already went back and edited it. But now I wished I hadn’t because I was correct the first time. You went on the attack right off the bat like a simple minded person does by name calling.

I didn’t miss anything, thus my rationale on posting “in this area”.

A routine occurrence on your parts does not constitute every location, as I clearly explained. I do not know how much clearer I can get on this. If you cannot understand this, then you are indeed simple minded.

Everybody to their own thang.

Have a nice day.

Karen,
Spin it whatever way that coddles your fragile feelings, sooths your irrational emotions, and helps you sleep at night.

Karen,
Spin it whatever way that coddles your fragile feelings, sooths your irrational emotions, and helps you sleep at night.
Oh little man that wrongly went on the attack got caught is melting down. You assumed something that wasn’t there and you are not man enough to admit it.

As I have said, you keep proving how simple minded you actually are. 😂

Oh little man that wrongly went on the attack got caught is melting down. As I have said, you keep proving how simple minded you actually are. 😂
Spinning......

Everyone can clearly see you quoted me first, and set about pontificating your holier-than-thou-ness.

I'm simply reacting to an internet jerk.......

Spinning......
I see you added to your post. If you actually believe what you just edited and posted, then you are simple minded.

Poor little man. :)

I have enjoyed reading some of your posts in the past, but your next stop will be on my ignore list if you persist. :)

Last edited:
I see you added to your post. If you actually believe what you just edited and posted, then you are simple minded.

Poor little man. :)

I have enjoyed reading some of your posts in the past, but your next stop will be on my ignore list if you persist. :)
That would be the only move you have left to make Karen......

That would be the only move you have left to make Karen.....

Nope, I could keep arguing with a simple minded, delusional person such as you but the fact is, Scooter, you ain’t worth it.

You’ve proven what a little man you are.

Welcome to my ignorance list. You earned it, bro. 😂

I knew I had a winner when I took my new wife hunting with me 40 years ago, she held the light while I field dressed a gut shot deer after dark, she never even said "yuk" and stuck it out through the procedure.

I only use the gutless method on road kills which often have had their insides turned into putrid mush.

I don't use the gutless method because I love deer ribs; I leave the flank meat on them, cut them up into serving size pieces, pressure cook them for 30 minutes, coat them with olive oil and my favorite rib rub and brown them over charcoal with a lot of hickory thrown in for a smokey taste.

I love the heart and liver as well.
yep luv deer ribs too.

I've always gutted them where they fall. Cutting the throat is a waste of time, they have already bled out internally. Throat cutting is for slaughtering hogs, to save the blood.

I've also always processed my own deer, antelope, bear, elk, and buffalo. With deer and antelope in particular, you can do a clean skinning and gutting job. However, when they get to the butcher, they are all cut and mixed with everyone else's meat. Then you get back SOME of your meat, with someone else's gut shot hairy carcass deer added in. Much better to learn to do it yourself.

A couple other things, washing out a carcass isn't a good thing. It promotes bacteria growth. a thin coat of blood coagulates on the body cavity, and helps protect the meat.

Meat saws are a bad thing on deer an antelope. The bone marrow in those will spoil the flavor of the meat. I'm not all that hot on using them on the larger animals either, and don't.
Cow's blood too. When I was a preteen and early teen my grandma sent me down to the local co-op where processing was done to get a bucket of blood for blood sausage and blood pudding. I had to stir it on the way home to keep it from clotting. Ended up with a bucket of liquid blood and a fibrin popsicle that the dog loved.

I never heard of anyone here in PA that didn't gut their deer pretty much where it hit the ground. Most fathers showed their young ungs how to field dress their first deer and then they were on their own after that.

One of these times I have to try the ribs whole. I usually cut the meat between the ribs and throw it in the grind pile.
As nasty as it may sound boiled until meat can slip off bone, then served with mustard is very good. Be darn sure if it was a buck that it wasnt even close to rutting (absoulty no pink tinge to fat, only snow white fat).

My kids started deer hunting with me when they were 2 and 4. We gut them in the field. Kill, gut, butcher, cook and eat. We do it all.

Attachments

• 20211120_083016.jpg
    20211120_083016.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211120_084530.jpg
    20211120_084530.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Dear Karen,

If you've never killed a deer within minutes of last legal light, and gutted in the dark, then you've never hunted much.

Here, legal light is until 30 minutes after sundown, and dark quickly follows.

Had a game warden stop by one time seeing us gut a doe in the headlights out by the road after dark. All he was interested in was me donating my deer head to his CWD collection. He needed one more and wanted mine.
They sell head lamps at Wally's. About 11 bucks, some even come WITH batteries. Cool thing, the light goes wherever you are looking. Yep, pretty dang sure Ed kills his fair share of game. Karen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back