• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie Gun Works Catalogue question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can’t say about their current catalog, but in the recent past the paper catalog has been both more comprehensive and easier to navigate than the website. Sadly, this is especially true of their books. Dixie has a tremendous selection of books and publications, but the online search function seems to not apply consistently to authors or book titles, and the book section of the website is thoroughly disorganized.

I just checked, and the catalog is still only five bucks… not much at all in today’s money. The tips and tables in the back are a good resource. My latest Dixie catalog is several years out of date, but I still use it to look up items I can’t find on the website. You can get the item number from the print catalog, and enter that in the search box on Dixie’s website to determine current price and availability.

In my opinion, everybody needs a Dixie Gun Works catalog, even if it’s a little out of date. There is no other publication quite like it, although the old Herter’s catalogs from the 1960’s were just as entertaining.

Notchy Bob

EDIT: I haven’t been to any gun shows recently, but the larger shows in my area always seemed to have at least one vendor with a stack of Dixie catalogs. If you find a larger gun show in your area, it might be worth checking. That way, you could flip through the catalog before you buy it to determine whether it meets your needs.
I generally get a new catalog every other year. I can spend more hours reading it then any other book except the Bible.
Squint

I used to love thier catalog....since I got back into ML semi seriously three years ago, I avoid their website...frankly, it sucks. Tracks is easy to use, good prices and they have what I need, so I go there. I should order a Dixie catalog so I can see what they actually have. It used to be a weeks worth of enjoyable browsing.

I just got the latest catalog in the mail. It's still a couple of inches thick and full of replacement parts and other goodies. It's my main bathroom reader.

I was going to pull the trigger 4 months ago on a big ticket FFL item that I have been wanting for years and had to put it on hold because of there immense price hike and with the Kibler kit on the way it would have kicked me big time. If they wouldn’t have jacked there prices I would have been able to merge both items with a little check book juggling but not now that Dixie item will have to wait, but not to much longer before the next hike. Everything not just our hobby but life goods in general keep going up without warning its a vicious cycle that I pretty soon won’t be able to keep up with Sadly…😞

I ordered a copy last month and the girl said for free shipping it takes 6 weeks. Order it before you need it.
I didn't think about that. So, I checked the website and found they have an option for UPS Ground shipping for $2 extra. That would probably get the catalog in your hands a lot quicker. I think it's worth seven bucks.

Here is a link to their catalog order page, which explains all the shipping options: Dixie Catalog

Notchy Bob

What is their latest catalogue like? Does it reflect only what can be seen online or is it full of the wares that the older catalogs used to have. Want to know before I order it.
Dixie’s website sucks big time. Well below par. No excuse.
Appears to have been set up by amateurs only vaguely familiar with the process.
Hiring a second-year IT major student for peanuts to work for a month or two to redesign the search function alone would be a great stride forward.
The last time or two I have been there almost all the employees I saw looked 55 and older. I know there are exceptions, but that is often a difficult age cohort ( I am one of those ) to teach computer skills to.
I got my first Dixie catalog about 1969 when I was around 13 or 14 years old, and it was always the best thing I would get in the mail for years. It was only a little over half an inch thick back then. Had more interesting, cool, older stuff, too.
The reference information in each issue alone is worth the catalog price. Same info for over 50 years, but still useful. If nothing else, buy one catalog and use the reference information for the rest of your life.

Haha!
Actually, yes.
The gal who served me was very kind and talkative. She talked for 45 minutes during checkout as no other customers were there and I was in no hurry. When she gave me my bill I noticed I wasn’t charged for about $150 of powder 😂. She corrected her mistake and we visited some more. She was a gal who had been there awhile and she happily signed her photo in my catalogs.
My dad was a firearms collector and student of history. I ogled all the cool stuff in the Dixie catalog since 1970.
DGW must have been a good place to work for most or all of it’s existence. I think the employee turnover has been extremely low.

Don’t know if it’s true, but I have heard that generally their employees only leave when the die or retire.
Turner Kirkland died years ago, and one of his two sons is gone as well.
Have not heard if the last son is still alive or not.
I’ll bet things were a lot more “ interesting “ around there when Turner was still alive.

Last edited:
Back