• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spiller and Burr Cylinders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

With all the recent Spiller and Burr talk especially in the Wanted and Sold threads, I wanted to ask if the new imports now available have cylinders that resemble the originals? Mine has been “defarbed” years ago but I noticed after doing some research that the cylinder isn’t close to the original at all. So that makes it somewhat still a reproduction. I also enlarged the half moon area of the frame to allow access to the nipples in order to cap it, but now ALL I see is an incorrect cylinder.

I looked at Dixie’s online catalog and it looks like the repro they offer closely resembles the originals without safety notch. Anyway have any testimony to this?

Just curious…
James

I don't know how close they are to originals, I doubt they went to too much effort to make them right. They do have a Reminton type safety notch, but it appears that the originals did as well.
1704750284845.png

Your cylinder looks about the same as the new one I got a month or so ago. Looks like the biggest visual difference between the repro and original cylinder is the shape of the cutouts where the nipples are.

Your cylinder looks about the same as the new one I got a month or so ago. Looks like the biggest visual difference between the repro and original cylinder is the shape of the cutouts where the nipples are.
I thought mine would be like other repro cylinders but check this out from Dixie’s catalog…
That’s closer to the originals right???

James

Attachments

• IMG_7131.jpeg
    IMG_7131.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 0
I thought mine would be like other repro cylinders but check this out from Dixie’s catalog…
That’s closer to the originals right???

James
I don't know, looks pretty much like yours to me. Cylinder notches are longer than original, the cutouts around the nipples are different shape. I don't know, it's a repro, how close to original? Plenty of differences I suppose, fun to shoot and works well though. I just accept it for what it is I guess. I think they even repurpose some Remington parts.

Last edited:
The new ones have the safety cuts in the cylinder.

Maybe if you can find one, an older model cylinder might work? My 1991 made Pietta S&B does not have any safety notches.

20230617-IMG_0507-3.jpg

I believe all of the newer Pietta cylinders will have the safety notches. Some original Spiller & Burr revolvers also have hammer safety notches. I believe that design alteration was added to the 2nd model revolvers on both iron and the later steel cylinders.

These safety notches are also on my 1975 MOFRA S&B.
Long Johns Wolf

Attachments

• 1-P1070647-001.JPG
    1-P1070647-001.JPG
    343.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back