• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dirt In Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Erik550c said:
....... or a condom.

Latex finger cots are a better choice and cheaper as well. They are readily available in the first aid section of your local drug store. Condoms are actually too big and cost more.

Not to mention the endless ridicule from your hunting buddies, or possibly the game warden! :rotf:

I use small party balloons over the end of the barrel. Never had one fall off in the field, and they don't affect the shot. Also keeps rain out of the barrel.

Zonie said:
I don't think plugging the bore of a 12 guage with dirt or snow would be any major problem.

All of the pocket knives I've owned have a blade that would easily fit into a .36 caliber bore.

IMO, it's unlikely that you would ever plug a bore with dirt but if it happens, just run your pocket knife blade into the bore, rotating it as it goes.

Any dirt that doesn't fall out can be loosened up with a stick so that it will.

Would this leave the bore all nice and bright and shiny? No it wouldn't but the gun could be used if it needed to be shot.

In over 60 years of hunting, I never managed to plug the muzzle of my gun with mud, dirt or snow.

Carrying the gun with the muzzle somewhat elevated, it never comes close to being stuck in the ground.

My older brother once got some snow in the end of dad's twelve gauge, it "split " the end of the barrel back about two inches when fired. He cut the split end off and thought dad would not notice. HE NOTICED. :idunno:

Erik550c said:
I have not gotten dirt in the barrel yet. I just want to know what to do if it happens.

Man, it aint that hard to keep a barrel outa the dirt And you expect to plug up a revolver at some point?

What are you doing with your guns :idunno: Treat them like any other machinery, AVOID dirt.

Erik550c said:
I want to be prepared... I was hunting with my smoothbore and noticed that it is easy to accidentally plug my barrels with dirt.
Well, it's not "easy". Don't worry about it. If you plug your barrel with dirt when your hunting,, you'll figure something out to do if you want to continue hunting.
That's the part that's easy.
If you can't figure it out,, then your done hunting that day.

Ya know!.....I'm all for wearing a helmet when I ride my motorcycle.....(Cause I like having brains)
But! the day I have to adorn my muzzleloader with a condom, finger rubber, balloon, tape etc.....is the day I hang up my hunting hat.

Maybe don't drink while huntin(aint sayin you are, but it seems like a possibility).

Yeah, I kinda get a kick out of the whole thing. Accidents do happen, no denying that at all. But plugging the bore with dirt isn't something that commonly happens.
I have fallen, tripping or slogging in mud/dirt/swamp,, but when I did the gun and it's muzzle was/is the thing I'm concerned about. My body hit the dirt while keeping the muzzle away from me, my companions and the dirt.
I guess if I was in a situation where I had to stuff the gun in the mud to save myself or others I would,, I think "field expedient" cleaning of the muzzle would be pretty easy,, with the nearest stick If I could find nothing else

necchi said:
I have fallen, tripping or slogging in mud/dirt/swamp,, but when I did the gun and it's muzzle was/is the thing I'm concerned about. My body hit the dirt while keeping the muzzle away from me,

Bene down river before.On a slope, lost my footing on the mud, went alley oop :shocked2: Hit my hip on the ground(good news, it was mud and my beer was A,OK)Not carrying at the time!

Rick Richard said:
I place black electrical tape over the end of my muzzle while hunting. It has NO impact on accuracy.

I started using black electrician’s tape in Vietnam, it worked well for me.

When I am hunting, I still tape over the muzzle.

William Alexander

Back