• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Different lubricant

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After reading some of the glowing reports about Ballistol these last years, I ordered some and tried it on my firearms, both unmentionables and muzzleloader's, and it worked all right I have no complaints even about the odor, but then I never had a problem with what I was using before, just curiosity I guess and thought it might be better. Anyway my new issue of the backwoodsman magazine tells all about an oil that's been around here for many years named, CLENZOIL. According to the article it's pretty fine stuff, and I think I might order some. Article also stated that it has a lot better smell. To me, the redeeming factor is it's made in the United States. I have nothing against stuff from other countries like Germany, but if I possibly can, I like to buy American-made. Well it looks like I'll have to try it, hopefully it will make good patch lube but that will have to wait for warm weather.
Squint

I ordered Ballistol a couple months ago. Same thing, hearing friends rave about it. First thing I did was read the ingredients on the can. Mineral oil. Huh, I've got five gallon buckets of mineral oil in the shop. Ballistol smells a bit rancid to me. Works just fine. That one can will last me the rest of my life.

I ordered Ballistol a couple months ago. Same thing, hearing friends rave about it. First thing I did was read the ingredients on the can. Mineral oil. Huh, I've got five gallon buckets of mineral oil in the shop. Ballistol smells a bit rancid to me. Works just fine. That one can will last me the rest of my life.
Ballistol is mineral oil based. There are other ingredients, potassium oleate, ammonium oleate, benzyl alcohol, amyl alcohol, isobutyl alcohol, benzyl acetate, and anethol (where it gets it's licorice smell that some people hate). In WWI, German soldiers not only cleaned their guns with Ballistol, they used it to treat minor wounds and scratches.

My can says, "White mineral oil, proprietary distillate - trade secret. "
I don't know what's in it because it's a trade secret. Yeah it does smell a bit like licorice. Ransid licorice.

My can says, "White mineral oil, proprietary distillate - trade secret. "
I don't know what's in it because it's a trade secret. Yeah it does smell a bit like licorice. Ransid licorice.
I just stated what's in Ballistol. There are many other cleaners on the market. I will only use what will not harm the wood on my rifles. Some cleaners are very harmful to wood and I stay away from those.

If its a secret how do you know what is in it? Yes I know you stated what is in it.

I use Ballistol, but not so much as a cleaning agent -- mostly for wiping down the external metal surfaces or coating the barrel in favor (usually) of petroleum-based stuff. I've tried it as a patch lube, and it's okay but not really any different from several other plant or mineral oils I've tried. Recently, I've tried Simple Green and have been astounded at the effect on fouling. I've been using a combo of it and olive oil, but am going to test the Simple Green by itself. If that works, it will become my patch lube. Otherwise I'll stick with the combo of it and some oil like olive, canola, avocado, etc.

One thing against Ballistol for me is that my wife absolutely can't stand the smell (strong anise) of it. So I need to take more care and more clean-up time with it, and generally use it outside the house -- which is a bit of a discouragement in its use. I could use water soluble gear oil (NAPA or whatever) -- which is sort of Ballistol without added ingredients, but other things work as well or better for me.

"One thing against Ballistol for me is that my wife absolutely can't stand the smell (strong anise) of it."

The above almost always shows up in Ballistol postings.

If the truth be known about patch lube, I've found nothing better than Falkenberry Juice. I can clean the bore with it, but I'm conserving it for lube. Unfortunately, it's no longer made. I have two bottles left.

Mineral oil is any of various colorless, odorless, light mixtures of higher alkanes from a mineral source, particularly a distillate of petroleum, as distinct from usually edible vegetable oils . Wikipedia said it.

Back