• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Educate me on Petersoli please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For years I have wanted a Petersoli Rocky Mountain Hawkin in maple as I think it's one of the most beautiful rifles ever made.

On occasion on here I hear the acosional complaint about Petersoli and I am wondering just how good or bad is their quality.

I have learned that when a person gets to the top of their game that their world is full of people trying to shoot them down. I know that Petersoli makes a quality gun but when compared to others at the top of the hill sometimes it gets noted that they lack in some areas.

What are the weak areas of a Petersoli. This is not to tear up Petersoli as I know they make nice stuff but this is to educate me as what to look for in the bp world.

Please let know about the good as will as the not so good.

Last edited:
I bought one of those, but with the walnut stock a couple years ago. No complaints whatsoever.
And its Pedersoli not petersoli, lol.

I have a maple Rocky Mtn Hawken in .54, and think it is probably the closest to a Hawken you will get in a production gun. My only unfavorable comment is the plumb brown finish on the barrel, I would have preferred a dark chocolate brown. Mine is a good round ball shooter with the 1:65 twist. I think they are worth looking and saving for.

I have the exact rifle that you are asking about, and I am very pleased with it. Mine is in .54, with a striped maple stock. A couple of minor complaints is the cheap ram-rod that comes from the factory. That is easily remedied by buying an aftermarket hickory one, available from multiple sources. The rear sight is of nice quality, but it is patterned after a very late type of Hawken/Gemmer rifle. Mine shoots PRB and the short .54 Lee REAL conical very accurately, and to the same point of aim. Attached pic is a 3 shot group @100 yards with 60 grains of 3f, and a round ball. From a bench, I can shoot playing cards at that distance all day long if the wind is not up. I thought it was a very good deal when I purchased it ($799 new) compared to custom rifles starting at three times that amount. I know they are more now, but so are the custom jobs. No problems or complaints with mine whatsoever. While heavy, a skinny teen age girl uses my rifle to destroy various garden veggies, such as watermelon and pumpkins, plus a few deer. You can't wipe the grin off her face with lye soap and hot water.

Attachments

• 20170323_161240.jpg
    20170323_161240.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Midway has that listed (out of stock) for a whopping $2000. For that price I would much rather get a Kibler kit like the woodsrunner and build the rifle myself. I have several Pedersoli's and a Kibler SMR and everything about my SMR is nicer than any of my Pedersoli's.
Pedersoli does make a fine gun, but they cost a fair amout more than they should and they definitely cheap out on some parts. The locks are the best you can get from an Italian manufacturer, but they still leave a lot to be desired. The fit and finish is the same way. I've always hated the plasticky finish they put on their stocks and their ramrods are basically worthless. All that said, I do really like my Pedersoli's, they just don't compare to a custom or a kit gun in any way.
At this price point, I'd definitely recommend you look into a Kibler kit, you really won't be disappointed in any way, they are top notch. Either that or look into a custom build from a builder, they can pretty easily be found for less than $2k.

2 grand for a Pedo, You can build 2 rifles for that.
My first flintlock was a Pedo, it sucked when I bought it, it sucked when I gave it away.
It had more Rifle Shoppe parts on it than Pedo parts.
BTW at the time I bought mine, Pedo made NO spare parts, We had to make them all from other parts.

I bet there are a few good ones out there too, As Clint would say "Do you feel lucky"?

Latest posts

Back