• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Different lubricant

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have told this in several posts, 50/50 water and dish soap for lube. cleaning, Stright Windex. the soap lube keeps your barrel clean shot after shot. you can shoot all day long from dawn till dark and never swab and the last ball with slide down the barrel like the first. Windex takes 10 min. to clean thoroughly. less cleaning patches also, and accuracy is superb,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

At the end of the day, who really cares what is in it?

I have a feeling that most folks do not read the contents any more than they read instructions provided for doing something.
right who rely gives a S$$T??

My wife is very sensitive to chemicals smells, so have to be very careful, unless you what to watch her turn green. I use it instead of WD40, on everything from garden tools to firearms, I use it as a tack cloth, on wood, fishing reels, even wipe the engine compartment of the Vette, it just works. I go out of my way to buy not only made in the USA, but local.

Guys, if you reread the OP, he starts out referencing Ballistol but the point of his post, the way I see it, is about CLENZOIL. Although he doesn't come out and ask, I believe he may be looking for opinions and info on that product. You all might be better off ending your pissing match about Ballistol (do we really need another Ballistol discussion?) and discussing your experiences with CLENZOIL. If you dont like Ballistol, move on to another topic.

NY never used the stuff, we sold it a Car Quest when I was a manager there, but that's it, and there's no Pissing match, just stating how I feel. I like the product !

I use it, honestly can’t say I have ever smelled it and I am usually sensitive to this kind of stuff. Guess I need to go sniff some and see what it is all about.
Me too! When I read people complain about the smell of Ballistol I scratch my head, cause I don't really notice much odor to it. I guess everybody smells different. Kinda like taste. Some people like liver & some don't. It's a good product with multiple uses. Is it the end all, be all? No, but I can't complain for what I use it for. I sure don't understand the hate for it that some have. BTW, the mineral oil in Ballistol is medical grade (you could drink it) & is derived from a paraffin distilled from petroleum. The other ingredients are natural/plant based. CLENZOIL is one of many cleaners on the market today. It's works OK, but I didn't find it any better or easier than what I have been using. So many choices out there that I think it comes down to your sense of "smell".

I use Ballistol, but not so much as a cleaning agent -- mostly for wiping down the external metal surfaces or coating the barrel in favor (usually) of petroleum-based stuff. I've tried it as a patch lube, and it's okay but not really any different from several other plant or mineral oils I've tried. Recently, I've tried Simple Green and have been astounded at the effect on fouling. I've been using a combo of it and olive oil, but am going to test the Simple Green by itself. If that works, it will become my patch lube. Otherwise I'll stick with the combo of it and some oil like olive, canola, avocado, etc.

One thing against Ballistol for me is that my wife absolutely can't stand the smell (strong anise) of it. So I need to take more care and more clean-up time with it, and generally use it outside the house -- which is a bit of a discouragement in its use. I could use water soluble gear oil (NAPA or whatever) -- which is sort of Ballistol without added ingredients, but other things work as well or better for me.
I use 50/50 simple green as my patch lube, it works awesome. I also clean my guns with it.

19 bucs per GALLON local farm co-op.

Screenshot_20220310-083435_Chrome.jpg

I started lubing my ML's inside and out with ballistol, I notice last weekend when I took my 54 flint to the range I was having some ignition delays on my first 4 shots, but it started firing good after that. Not sure if I was too heavy on the lube in the business end of the gun.

I use 50/50 simple green as my patch lube, it works awesome. I also clean my guns with it.
Yeah, I clean with it as well. A little goes a long way, and just a few pumps of the water from the bucket through the barrel does the trick better than anythings else I've used. Some people don't like to (or some can't) remove their barrels for this "old style" cleaning, but after various alternatives, I've found this to be both the fastest and most effective approach. I originally got onto Simple Green for cleaning the innards of my brass musical instruments (particularly tubas). 😂 It's great stuff.

I started lubing my ML's inside and out with ballistol, I notice last weekend when I took my 54 flint to the range I was having some ignition delays on my first 4 shots, but it started firing good after that. Not sure if I was too heavy on the lube in the business end of the gun.
I had a similar experience once with my .32 Crockett rifle. I came to think that if your rifle has a patent breech, it may be especially problematic if you aren't careful how much lube of any kind you get down there. I'm more careful now. But I think it can be a problem with any barrel if you just use too much wet lube in it. A number of people are careful to store the gun barrel-down. My BP guns are hung horizontally, and that seems to avoid the lube pooling at the bottom.

Latest posts

Back